What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Library defined notification triggers

Votes:

Hi,

If i have library defined notification triggers for a particualr sensor type do i need to change any of the settings on the Notificaion Triggers of that sensor?

So i have created a library defined trigger for PING for a whole wad of devices...

In the sensor Notification Trigger do i leave it on the default "Inherit all triggers from parent objects and use the triggers defined above" or do i change it to "Only use the triggers defined above"

I dont want the PING sensors that belong to the library to use the default inhertied default trigger of down for 600 secons, down for 900 seconds etc

I just want it to use the library trigger it belongs too.

Thanks

library notifications trigger

Created on Oct 17, 2018 3:34:57 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

In this case, you'll need to use Only use the triggers defined above, library based notifications are always used (i.e. they are not affected by that setting). Remember to stay below the 1,000 sensor mark per library node, otherwise the notification won't work.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 18, 2018 8:43:10 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the clarification Stephan.

May it be worth in a future relase to amend the text to "Only use the triggers defined above, and/or library triggers below"

Created on Oct 18, 2018 1:19:40 PM

Votes:

It's mentioned in the manual for notification triggers:

You cannot turn off trigger usage for the current sensor from a library here.
If you do not want to use any notification triggers from a library for this sensor, 
open the library and remove this sensor from it or refine the triggers on the 
Notification Triggers tab.

:)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 19, 2018 6:47:00 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What the poster means is that in the notification trigger settings there is only the option to use the Only use the triggers defined above and the Library triggers are below this message. Very confusing.

Created on Sep 29, 2019 7:20:29 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.