What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

In which point is my sensor factory logic wrong?

Votes:

Hello,

I have the following scenario: Many devices, which each have one SMTP Port, one IMAP Roundtrip and One Sensor factory. The sensor factory has 4 sensors on it, the SMTP Port of the devices it is, and 3 mail queues which are in a third device. It has the following formula:

status (17083) AND (channel(27140,0) + channel (27158,0) + channel (27888,0) >= 450)

• 17083 => SMTP
  • 27140 => Queue 1
  • 27157 => Queue 2
  • 27888 => Queue 3

The status I have now is the following status scenario: SMTP Up, Queue 1 down, queue 2 and 3 up. Either way, the sensor factory stills send a down warning, even with the formula having an AND operator (which should set it to down only when the SMTP goes down, right?)

PS: The queue 1 isn't down by threshold, it's down by the result it shows (not connecting properly).

Regards,

Jesus

down-sensors formula sensor sensor-factory

Created on Oct 23, 2018 11:21:26 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Jesus,
thank you for your reply.

If you're interested in evaluating the sum of the response times, then simply add them up to show them in the sensor factory. Afterwards you can define limits (upper error limit 450) in the Total Response Time channel of the sensor factory sensor. You can use the following definition for example:

#1:Total Response Time
(channel(27140,0) + channel (27158,0) + channel (27888,0)

And if you also want the sensor to go down based on the status/state of other sensors, you can use a Custom formula Status Definition, which needs to look for instance like this:

status(27158) OR status(27888) OR status(17083) OR status(27140)

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 26, 2018 12:46:14 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Jesus,
thank you for your inquiry.

It seems as if you're mixing up the Channel Definition with the Custom formula Status Definition.

The documentation for the valid/acceptable Channel Definition can be found here:

The documentation for the valid/acceptable Custom formula Status Definition can be found here:

I've shared two concrete examples below:

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 24, 2018 10:58:16 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Oct 26, 2018 12:46:52 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Luciano, thanks for answering.

If I understood it right, I cannot do such comparation, then? (add the results of the channels and compare to a given value)

If I'm able to, or if there is some way to achieve this, since it's about one major value of the sum of the three, and not individual values (like in channel definition), how may I proceed?

Regards,

Jesus

Created on Oct 24, 2018 12:14:26 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Jesus,
thank you for your reply.

If you're interested in evaluating the sum of the response times, then simply add them up to show them in the sensor factory. Afterwards you can define limits (upper error limit 450) in the Total Response Time channel of the sensor factory sensor. You can use the following definition for example:

#1:Total Response Time
(channel(27140,0) + channel (27158,0) + channel (27888,0)

And if you also want the sensor to go down based on the status/state of other sensors, you can use a Custom formula Status Definition, which needs to look for instance like this:

status(27158) OR status(27888) OR status(17083) OR status(27140)

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 26, 2018 12:46:14 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Luciano, We didn't have an incident with these sensors these days, so I cannot validate if they are really working, but it seem pretty much to, so I came here to thank you for the help :)

Best Regards

Jesus.

Created on Oct 29, 2018 12:02:20 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.