What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DNS sensor details.

Votes:

Hello! Can i with DNS sensor send a request to multiple name (addreses)?

For example: google.com, yandex.com...

Or only one domain at one sensor?

dns prtrg sensor

Created on Nov 27, 2018 7:22:16 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

The DNS Sensor actually checks the DNS Server within your network, i.e. the one you got assigned via DHCP (or directly configured). May I ask what details you're interested in for these domains? Maybe we have an alternative Sensor that you could use :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 27, 2018 8:56:15 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yep. I have two Exchange EDGE servers, this sevrers are in DMZ network zone, PRTG server are in internal network. My task is to every minute request my internal DNS servers in internal network from this Exchange EDGE servers and check is this DNS server available and correctly resovle all my domains.

So now i make it by hands. I connect via RDP to two servers, open CMD-console, enter nslookup domain.domain.ru and check the answer. Then i enter next domain domain1.domain.com and check the answer. Sometime i see correct answer (IP list), sometime i have Request timeout and i understand that something goes wrong. If i have Request timeout as result of nslookup i have problem with mail routing.

So if say shortly: i need to get result of nslookup from remote server(s).

Thank you!

Created on Nov 27, 2018 9:11:07 PM

Votes:

In this case, you'd need multiple DNS Sensors, indeed - one for every domain :)

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 27, 2018 9:28:58 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As far as i understand all DNS sensors work only from Probe IP, or if i attach it to another device they will work as from remote host?

Created on Nov 28, 2018 12:19:09 PM

Votes:

Well... depending on a few details what you want to accomplish - and which target servers - you can go pretty fancy with a PowerShell Script and a Custom EXE or Advanced Custom EXE sensor.

Have a look at those two possible commands:

In theory you could:

• check various DNS records at the same time
  • check the same records against various DNS servers
    • internal DNS servers
    • external DNS servers like Google DNS or / and Open DNS
  • compare even results of internal and external DNS responses - as long those aren't round-robin based (meaning you would get by default various IPs back)
  • SFP / TXT records lookups and even theoretically investigating their results might be possible in theory
  • etc.

There are ways - the question in the end is how far to you want to go and need to go.

What wonders me more is - why do you even need to check this stuff - what is the root cause of this request and on top of it in a one minute interval - the odds that those records even vanish are very low and Exchange is actually rather robust as well... I kinda wondered about it...

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Nov 28, 2018 3:24:12 PM

Votes:

Quote from Vasiliy
As far as i understand all DNS sensors work only from Probe IP, or if i attach it to another device they will work as from remote host?

Actually, you'll need to add the Sensor to a real DNS server (i.e. a device that has the IP/FQDN of a DNS server within the network), as we're basically just doing some nslookup stuff :)

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 29, 2018 11:34:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.