What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[denied] Add speedtest.net sensor.

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want to have a speedtest.net (or equal) sensor in PRTG to measure SLA with my internet providers in small offices around my country.

Details of User Story

My company has a lot of small offices around the country, at all offices we have trouble with local internet providers, internet speed unacceptably slow from time to time, i want to have a sensor wich help me to measure internet speed (Download + Upload). This sensor can help me with troubleshooting users requests (in group with some other criterias).

Acceptance criteria

- Sensor must measure speed to Download and Upload. - Sensor must has to choose source of download and upload (file) and work with automatic source selection (like speedtest.net).

Status

Denied Speedtest.net's API costs rather much and is unlikely to be implemented. This can be done using a PowerShell script, like the one below: $wc = New-Object net.webclient; "{0:N2}:{0:N2} Mbit/sec" -f ((100/(Measure-Command {$wc.Downloadfile('http://east.testmy.net/dl-100MB',"c:\temp\speedtest.test")}).TotalSeconds)*8); del c:\temp\speedtest.test Note that it only tests the download speed. Output is already trimmed for PRTG:
61,61:61,61 Mbit/sec

However, make sure to not run this too often, as the provider might block your IP. Ensure that C:\temp exists. This one might also be useful. Or this one (Thanks, Ant-PJ).

add-sensor prtg prtg-kbtracker

Created on Nov 29, 2018 8:38:39 AM

Last change on Feb 20, 2019 7:35:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.