What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSL: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

Votes:

We have set up PRTG in our environment, just one core server. In our attempts to remediate a lot of sensors in red /failed state, we recently came across two exchange servers that amongst other things were giving errors for the SSL Certificate Sensor (port 465) sensors, specificially we are g etting the error of: "SSL: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol" even after doing all the steps such as disabling the TLS 1.0, and TLS 1.1, etc and enabling the TLS 1.2 and checking to make sure the fingerprint matched and that the cert wasn't invalid nor was it expired. Double checked and cross referenced the certs in Certmgr.msc, with that of the ones reported in IIS, and checked in the exchange ecp to make sure the cert fingerprint matches. We can telnet to the exchange server on that port 465, and we can scan it as open/active with other tools, and see it in netstat as corrrelating to the correct PID corresponding to the Exchange EdgeTransport.exe

To rule out being a bug or issue with PRTG itself, I have contacted the support from inside the application ticketing system but for days now haven't heard anything, even though subsequent and unrelated issues that have been opened with PRTG since then have already been responded to and largely resolved etc.

For our exchange servers, the PRTG sensors on different ports will recongize, but for whatever reason, no matter what we have tried, it doesn't see port 465 or otherwise is erroring out with SSL: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol with no other more detailed or specific errors. This is worrysome because we have already confirmed the port to be open, the cert to be valid, the bindings exists in IIS, and the exchange server can be telnet'd to.... So why does PRTG sensor for this " SSL Certificate Sensor (port 465)" not pick up on it at all and immediately go red with the above aforementioned error(s)???

140770fc exchange routines-ssl23-get-server-hello-sslv3 ssl tls unknown-protocol

Created on Jan 9, 2019 12:59:52 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

We'll handle this within the corresponding support case, since you already opened a ticket with us :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 9, 2019 1:28:02 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm seeing the same thing with our Exchange servers. Can someone share the resolution please?

Created on May 14, 2020 10:42:59 AM

Votes:

I would love to help here, but we never heard back from the thread starter here. What version of PRTG are you currently running?

Created on May 15, 2020 1:07:44 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If you are able to help us I'd love to provide you with all neccessary information! So yeah, we also have this problem, SSL error on checking Port 465 on our onprem exchange. PRTG Version: PRTG Network Monitor 20.2.59.1689 x64

Thanks for getting back to me!

Regards

Created on Jul 8, 2020 9:49:34 AM

Votes:

Sure thing. Please open up a case with us via [email protected] :)

Created on Jul 9, 2020 8:15:20 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I have the same issue with Exchange and Port 465. Is there a public solution for the issue?

It should be the same cert used as on port 25 and there is eveything well.

Thanks Christian

Created on Jan 12, 2023 8:17:43 AM

Votes:

Any ideas?

Created on Jan 19, 2023 3:48:20 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.