What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How get the credential of PRTG ?

Votes:

Hi,

On PRTG i have set the credential for all my device (Windows Credential). It's possible to retrive the credential registered on prtg device for send in my powershell script directly ?

credentials powershell sensor-level-credentials

Created on Jan 15, 2019 10:00:32 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

At this time, we do not have the ability to use stored credentials as variables for scripts or sensors in PRTG.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 16, 2019 2:24:32 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

We have abilities with the %windowsuser / %windowspassword and %windowsdomain. Just i need in futur update this abilities to obtaine placeholder on notifications

Ex: If disk space is low the notification system can lunch an EXE to delete all temporary file on the server...

(This is a feature request :p )

Created on Jan 17, 2019 7:49:56 AM

Votes:

It's probably more secure to just use Windows' integrated credential store. Think about it: A bad guy obtaining access to your PRTG web interface, using HTTP notifications to send credentials to a target URL where he collects your credentials. That's what we'd like to prevent here.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 17, 2019 9:12:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Yeah, your Windows's Integrated Credential is more secure, just my PRTG has only an access with VPN. I have 250+ server (VM) with different credential for all server (because i execute powershell script or EXE) and script need the "Opened Account" on the server same for EXE... And i have many probe in PRTG.

My team does not support prtg (im alone to maintain it) and i have automated all prtg (Automatically grab all VM on each HyperV (many hyperV), create sensor...) All C# exe created does not use the Credential Store... And it's not possible to copy the Credential Store to other PRTG Probe. Is not a solution for me :'(

Created on Jan 17, 2019 11:09:15 AM

Votes:

Sorry, there's not much we can do in this case :/ Perhaps this kind of storage is more suitable: https://blog.kloud.com.au/2016/04/21/using-saved-credentials-securely-in-powershell-scripts/

You could use the device name as template and access them by name? Sorry that this is such a hassle for you :(

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 17, 2019 2:41:15 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.