What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to get rid of persistent Android "PRTG Notifications are enabled" notification?

Votes:

I have the Android app installed on a Pixel 2XL. It works fine. BUT...it places a persistent notification in the notification bar that is entitled "PRTG Notifications are enabled". I don't want to see that icon in the notification bar. I only want to see actual alarm or ticket notifications there.

What is the purpose of this persistent notification? Advertising? Can it be turned off without totally disabling all PRTG Android notifications?

Thanks.

android notifications prtg

Created on Jan 16, 2019 6:52:49 PM

14 Replies

Votes:

This is unusual. Has the app already been re-installed?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 17, 2019 11:56:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, it has not been re-installed. And it recently updated to the latest version automatically.

Created on Jan 17, 2019 12:02:19 PM

Votes:

Then please do so and let me know if it worked. It usually does for quirks like this.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 17, 2019 12:14:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Reinstalling made no difference.

Created on Jan 17, 2019 2:30:39 PM

Votes:

I'll check back with the developer regarding this and let you know what he said :)

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 18, 2019 9:40:57 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Quote from the developer
It's intentional. When the user has alarm or ticket notifications enabled (not push notifications), we show that persistent notification so that the user knows that we're running in the background, polling PRTG.

So, works as intended, sorry for the confusion :)

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 18, 2019 10:33:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

One question, one comment:

First the question: if I turn off all notifications except "Push", will I still get all notifications? If "Push" supersedes polling then I don't need those other notification types turned on, do I?

Now the comment: if it is working as designed then the design violates the Android UI principles. The PRTG app does not create notifications in a way that is consistent with the platform and other app's on the platform. In an app like this notifications should show exceptions only, not status. For example, there is no email app that puts a notification up that it is set to poll the server. It might notify you that it is making a poll, but even that is pushing the limit. The notification bar should remain dark unless there is a message waiting that requires action.

Created on Jan 18, 2019 3:14:42 PM

Votes:

As for the question, yes - this is just for the alert or ticket notifications. It should vanish once the push notifications are enabled.

As for the comment, I'll see if I can get a hold of the developer to see if there are any changes possible or planned regarding the matter.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 21, 2019 7:56:37 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm sorry, that answer was confusing to me. If push is ON, and tickets are OFF, will I still get notification of tickets via push?

Created on Jan 22, 2019 7:36:39 PM

Votes:

If push is on and tickets are off, you won't receive push notifications for tickets (which are for sensor notifications only, iirc).

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 23, 2019 10:42:31 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Quick update regarding the matter; the persistent notifications will be removed for Android Oreo and above :)

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 28, 2019 6:30:30 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good news, Stephan, thank you.

Created on Jan 28, 2019 11:21:31 AM

Votes:

Wow, that update hit my Androids yesterday. Well done, Paessler!

Created on Feb 6, 2019 9:37:14 PM

Votes:

You're welcome :)

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 7, 2019 7:33:34 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.