What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[DENIED] Allow Offline PRTG Probe to record data and upload on re-connection

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

So one of our sites lost internet access in the middle of the night. I of course got some alerts from PRTG showing that the probe was disconnected and then when the connection recovered I got a stack of notifications showing it had recovered.

But what would be really useful was an update on what the probe was seeing during the outage. Was it the firewall? Was it the ISP? Why didn't it make use of their secondary connection? Was it a switch?

It would be great if the PRTG Probe could be configured to continue to cache data and upload it when the connection returns.

I've had this kind of thing come up before and I can't be the only one.

Acceptance criteria

• Date and Time should be preserved (IE should show the time the data was collected, not uploaded)
  • Should be configurable - eg how long to collect data after losing connection, how long to keep the collected data, maximum disk space to use for the cache and/or a "minimum free space" - so we can specify that collection should stop if the server has less than 1GB free.

Status

Denied PRTG already does this. Remote Probes continuously try to reconnect if the connection to the Core Server is interrupted, but also continue to monitor "their" devices and sensors. It will do so...

• ... until 48 hours since the last disconnect have passed
  • ... 50.000 records per sensor are reached and not transmitted
  • ... until the RAM of the probe is full Whatever comes first. If neither happens, you will get to see what the probe has monitored in the sensors of the probe. If the fallback connection has not been used, it may be a network mis-configuration.

add-feature improve-prtg prtg-kbtracker

Created on Jan 21, 2019 9:52:08 AM

Last change on Jan 21, 2019 9:42:58 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.