What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[OPEN] Add "Start with a delay" function to Device (Sensor, Group)

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want to have function, which make possible to start device (sensor) or group with a settable delay, after restart Core server or probe.

Details of User Story

I have a lot of sensors which run scripts with small interval, when they start together after i restart my probes they overload my system, i have to stop it all and start each script individually with a little delay. In this case all works perfectly.

Acceptance criteria

Function must have a settable time interval.

Status

Open

add-sensor prtg prtg-kbtracker

Created on Jan 21, 2019 10:37:23 AM

Last change on Jan 21, 2019 9:47:17 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Would "Dependency Delay (Sec.)" within the device settings be what you're looking for? When the depending object (e.g. a ping sensor, or one of your script sensors) are up again, and if the delay has passed, the other sensors are queued for scanning.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 21, 2019 9:50:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How will it look in my case? I have Probe, at this Probe i have only one device, for this device i have 40 PowerShell script, what i need to do to delay each script for 5 minute? I need to create a Dependency for each script to each other? Make one of them start without a delay, and other will start step by step? Or i need to create 40 different devices and link them to each other?

Created on Jan 22, 2019 9:38:02 AM

Votes:

This would actually only work if the sensors were distributed among devices. In your case, how about creating distinct lock files for each script and then check the age of the lock file within the script (and have it exit once it's not old enough instead)?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 22, 2019 9:53:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.