What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SQL sensor on WinCC server

Votes:

Hello all,

The question is more related to Siemens WinCC than with PRTG itself. I'm posting here because there is very little information available about this, and maybe someone here can help me.

I have a WinCC Runtime server collecting data from a number of PLCs around the plant. My goal is to converge the monitoring off all our systems - IT, industrial, utilities, infrastructure, manufacturing - to PRTG to ease the monitoring.

The easiest way to collect data from the PLCs is quering the SQL database where WinCC puts the data, using PRTG's SQL sensor. I successfully connected the sensor to the SQL server, but the problem is: I can't find in which tables WinCC stores the proccess data. When developing an application in WinCC the system itself builds the database and as far as I could understand the tables names aren't related to the project variables. I spent hours searching ang got nothing solid.

In time: I have zero experience on databases and SQL.

Any experiences to share?

Thanks a lot.

Tales Maschio

plc prtg sql table wincc

Created on Jan 24, 2019 7:29:03 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Tales,

You might want to post this to reddit.com/r/sysadmin, /r/sql and /r/prtg, as they're more frequented; perhaps anybody came across this already. I haven't worked with WinCC either :/

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 25, 2019 12:44:08 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Stephan,

I found some information on Siemens knowledge base about scripting on SQL/WinCC environment, with examples and everything. I'll look into that first, and will post any positive results here, in case someone else needs this in the future.

If I can't move fwd I'll try posting on reddit as suggested.

Regards, Tales

Created on Jan 25, 2019 3:08:09 PM

Votes:

Glad you found something to get you started :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 28, 2019 6:31:26 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.