What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ticket #12 Opened: Webserver Port Changed Temporarily

Votes:

Hi there PRTG people,

I seem that I get this ticket from time to time: Opened: Webserver Port Changed Temporarily Ticket Type: ToDo (Configuration conflict) Assigned To: PRTG Administrators

I checked and I don't have any other webserver running on my 8443 or 443 port. Got any ideas ?

Thanks

8443 https port-changed temporarily webserver

Created on Jan 25, 2019 8:38:59 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please issue the following two commands in a commandline on the Core Server (cmd.exe):

netstat -a -o | find ":8443"
netstat -a -o | find ":443"

Does any of the two return any PID? If yes, then please open the Task Manager and check within the "Details"-Tab for the process that belongs to the PID.

Best regards.

Created on Jan 25, 2019 7:58:22 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Dariusz, but my question was not how to see on which port PRTG Web Server is running. I appreciate your answer(btw. you need the extra "-a" parameter to see all listening ports) but in my case I have clearly defined in the PRTG Administration Tool that I want to use 443(not 8443) and still from time to time it seems that the PRTG WebServer needs, for some reason, to use the other port. What I already said before is that I have checked 443 and 8443 and I don't have any other process or WebServer running(overlapping) or using those ports.

The only thing/reason that I can think of would be that my windoze nuc is booting, thanks to the nvme disk, way too fast and the static ip(ip stack) is not fully initialized before the PRTG WebServer tries to start. But then again this never happened on other machines and also is not consistent with every reboot. I will try a delay start and see if it helps.

Regards Florin Sfetea

Created on Jan 25, 2019 8:58:05 PM

Votes:

Hi Florin,

The issue might be related to Windows itself, where the port is not freed up quick enough so that PRTG can use it again after a service restart. What Windows version and PRTG version are you running?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 28, 2019 7:19:01 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Right, Both ports are free, I suspect this happens only on a fresh start. I tried Delay start on the prtg services and it seems to help. I configured PRTG to run on a specific ip/interface only. It's definitely an ip stack not fast enough related thing. It's a win 10 enterprise nuc skull and latest PRTG version.

Beste Grüsse, Regards si s-auzim de bine Florin Sfetea

Created on Jan 28, 2019 8:31:55 AM

Votes:

It usually related to exactly that, yes. Glad you found the issue. Happy monitoring! :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 28, 2019 8:37:39 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.