What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New Sensor state: Informational

Votes:

I think that PRTG is missing a state of a sensor: Informational. This is when a sensor needs to inform the admins of something, but nothing is really wrong, down nor a warning.

information sensor state

Created on Jan 30, 2019 10:00:12 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Why would you need this? I don't see such a reason at all..

You can always use e.g. State-Triggers for such things, but I don't see a reason for yet another status..

Can you give some examples? Might be there is a legit reason behind it..

PS: no - I am not a member of the Paessler/PRTG team.. I am a user as you are :-)

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jan 30, 2019 2:39:58 PM

Votes:

I agree with Florian. Can you give me a reason behind this that the Message field doesn't already accomplish?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 31, 2019 4:43:46 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I give you my current situation. We just added the Windows Update Powers hell sensor to all our windows servers. We patch most of our servers on a weekly basis but some are more sensetive, so we handle them manually.

When adding this sensor we got around 10 sensors in a down-state. This flooded our dashboard and did not look right.

I have then changed the setting for the sensors to give me a warning instead of an error state but still, I now have 10 servers that are in "warning". I don't see a missing update as a error nor warning state, I just want the "information".

Some sensors we just want to be informed that something has happened, not a system-error or system-warning.

Created on Jan 31, 2019 8:22:48 AM

Votes:

One more example. I monitor the Spanning-tree sate of all my uplink ports. I want to be able to see on a map which ports are being blocked by STP.

I can either set the port in error or warning-state, but this is not an error or warning. Its informational...

Created on Jan 31, 2019 8:24:37 AM

Votes:

Niclas,

Please check out this link for suggesting new features to PRTG. This is the best way to accomplish this.

How can I propose new features or sensors for PRTG?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 31, 2019 11:16:12 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Well.. so - Windows Update sensor - you can simply remove the limits, if you do so - PRTG will keep monitoring it and tell you results - but it won't flag it in the console...

The same should work for what ever you use to monitor STP. I suppose you look for something like Port-Status per SNMP - all you need to do is configure the channel not to raise the flag when it is down...

It makes me quite curios - STP and Port-Status would be quite easy - but I have PVST here what is way more complex - not that I care much since I only monitor if those ports are connected after all - but I think it would be rather complicated monitoring STP per VLAN (PVST). Further do VLANs change and you would need to cover that in your sensor somehow... but that's off topic now..

So or so - I think what you want is already in PRTG - it is a matter of configuring the channels in your sensors - that likely raise those errors..

Green is information - does not mean it is right or wrong..

What you could use additionally is the ACKNOWLEDGE system - might help you as well - assuming you don't like the GREEN.

I wouldn't know how to determine INFORMATIONAL other then green... I have hundreds of sensors that only gather data but never raise a flag... every now and then I need the information they collect.. but I don't need errors/warnings by default.. therefor they work without limits...

PS: Explain it further if I am mistaken - I think we have a nice open discussion here :-)

Regards

Florian

Created on Feb 1, 2019 2:52:16 PM

Votes:

I agree with Florian here as well. Green can be counted as Up/Informational as any sensor can have its limits removed, and would only go into a down state due to sensor error.

Let us know if this makes sense or not.

Thanks!

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Feb 2, 2019 12:51:43 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.