What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[OPEN] Allow adding & removing Channels to existing sensors.

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want to be able to add or remove channels to/from existing sensors without having to delete/pause the old sensor and creating a new one. I understand that for new channels historic data can only start at the moment the channel was added of course.

Details of User Stories

"I have an existing HTTP Content sensor and have appended additional channel items [] to the http response. Now i wanted to adjust the sensor to add the additional channel items [] to the existing probe. I guess i could recreate it, however there should be another way."
"I've several SQL sensors, where channels might be added (actually, I have several of those sensors where I have to add channels already). So yeah, it would be extremely helpful if we could add channels AFTER creating the sensors!"
"In general any sensor should be adjustable with the channels. I understand that I would not see historical data for those additional channels before they have been added - but yes - I have that issue with several sensors that rely on advanced EXE / XML data etc. E.g. DHCP scopes monitoring, the second I add a scope I need a separate sensor... unless I add blind channels in the beginning - what is confusing if you look at the sensor as well.. It would be nice to have this as a feature! Would be a great help and make many things more variable. Removing channels as well!"
"I would like to chime in on this as well. We run Cisco switches, and when we add a fiber SFP, we can't add/rediscover this sensor to add the tx/rx channels for the new fiber module. Asking us to delete and recreate the sensor is not acceptable, as we lose all of our fiber tx/rx information for the other channels. We need a fix/solution for this."

Acceptance criteria

• Allow adding of channels to each sensor type without disrupting recorded historic data or functionality of the same sensor.
  • Allow removing of channels to each sensor type without disrupting recorded historic data or functionality of the same sensor.

Status

Open

channels feature-request prtg-kbtracker sensor

Created on Feb 5, 2019 9:31:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 7, 2019 3:28:03 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.