What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Hiding Sensor Channels on Maps

Votes:

Hello,

I am currently using the IP SLA sensor to measure some metrics between data centers with Cisco specific devices. The IP SLA sensor is very useful and contains a lot of good engineering data. I would like to present a visualization of round trip time in a map for some executives however, I do not need or wish to show them other channels on this sensor out side of RTT.

What is the best way to do this? It looks like in order to do this specific operation, I will have to create a custom map object and apparently there is some way to hide channels? I can't find a specific example of what I am looking to do. I've reviewed this post: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1703-how-can-i-add-or-edit-map-objects-used-for-prtg-s-maps and it seems like it has a bunch of good info. Ideally, all I want to do is use the Live Graph (Tiny Fonts) to graph the single RTT channel on the IP SLA sensor. I think I would need to start by copying "graph tiny 0.htm" from the webroot folder and customize it but I am not sure where to go from here.

Any insight or even maybe a more specific example link would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

channels map-objects prtg

Created on Mar 1, 2019 4:37:55 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Khue,

To achieve this I recommend creating a Factory Sensor. In this Sensor, you can define one or more channels that combine monitoring results from other sensors or devices. You can create your own individual sensor with channels based on data from other sensors or devices. Using this Sensor you can display only the required Channels on your Map.

For more detailed information, please follow these links:

Best Regards,

Moritz Heller, Technical Support Team

Created on Mar 4, 2019 4:09:10 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 5, 2019 1:07:00 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Nice, didn't know about the sensor factory before. I'll have some pretty big uses for this moving forward. I might have missed it on the page about sensor factories, but I'd recommend that you guys link to the youtube content you put out too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edAyGIXTZxg

Created on Mar 4, 2019 6:27:54 PM

Last change on Mar 5, 2019 1:04:20 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Khue,

Thank you for the hint. I have added the corresponding video to my first answer. I also used the link "paessler.com" instead of the Youtube link. The video is the same.

Have a nice day!

Created on Mar 5, 2019 1:20:21 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.