What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Questions regarding PRTG Maps.

Votes:

Two questions regarding PRTG Maps:
1) Can i have possibility to change Objects on maps to specific color if sensors was in Down state for past 48 Hours? Maybe we have another option, for example add some notice to Objects?

For example: at Monday morning we look at our maps and we can see what sensors was Down (even once) during weekend?

2) Can we add to our map Data tables with Logs only for Maps objects?

For example: we look at maps and see list of sensors was in Down state.

I already ask this before, but in case we have something new.

Thank you!

data-tables maps prtg sensors

Created on Mar 13, 2019 10:21:23 AM

Last change on Mar 13, 2019 12:36:00 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Ah, indeed :( It needs to be linked to an object directly I'm afraid :( Perhaps the same as with the other one, using PRTGapi to get the logs and then combine it into a custom map object? :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 14, 2019 1:34:35 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Can i have possibility to change Objects on maps to specific color if sensors was in Down state for past 48 Hours? Maybe we have another option, for example add some notice to Objects? For example: at Monday morning we look at our maps and we can see what sensors was Down (even once) during weekend? /

Unfortunately not :( It could maybe achieved with PRTGapi and creating a custom map object with a scheduled task that has the sensor list updated, but that, you'd need to come up with yourself. Extracting object logs is described here:

https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI/wiki/Historical-Information

Can we add to our map Data tables with Logs only for Maps objects?

You mean like, a list of sensors that only include sensors listed on the map itself?

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 13, 2019 1:21:06 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK. I will try to give a ditailed example:

Let's take some map, which has a limited number of objects (28), for example 25 devices (servers) + 3 SNMP Traffic Sensors. Devices (servers) added as object "Status Icons -> Name and status (sizeable, status-related background)", SNMP traffic sesnors added as "Sesnor (message only, status related background)". All of them taken from different probes and different groups, but all placed to one map. As we know every Unit in PRTG has it own "Log", for example Log for Sensor, where we can see status changes (Up, Down, Unknown, Warning), Log for Device, Log for Groups and other...

We want to have on the same map (where we placed this 28 devices) Data table (or any other object), where we can see Logs ONLY for our 28 objects (Servers + SNMP traffic sensors).

The main goal for this is to see what changes we have for this objects for the last time. Because it's too complicated to watch Logs for every object placed on map.

Hope this detailed enough to understand my task.

Thank you!

Created on Mar 13, 2019 1:45:05 PM

Last change on Mar 13, 2019 1:58:07 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You could use the tag filter for this one. Simply tag the wanted sensors with a matching tag, add it to the map Tag Filter option and all tables will only include these maps :)

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 14, 2019 8:09:21 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We already done this and we are already use Data Table "Alarms" with specific Tag, but unfortunately Data Table named "Log" not filtering By Tags, it showing only Log for specific Device or Group (root by default). Filtering by Tag don't work on it! :-(

Created on Mar 14, 2019 8:25:59 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Ah, indeed :( It needs to be linked to an object directly I'm afraid :( Perhaps the same as with the other one, using PRTGapi to get the logs and then combine it into a custom map object? :)

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 14, 2019 1:34:35 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.