What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I configure notifications without internet on iOS?

Votes:

Hi,

I'm using a iPhone to monitor PRTG but I only see errors when opening the app. We have all our systems (and PRTG server) in a private network without internet connection. On my phone I have a private APN so direct connection to the network.

I know that in order to use Push notifications the PRTG server needs to have internet acces, but on android phones of my coleages the notifications get fetched every 15 min. Whatever I try, I can't get this to work on iOS.

Greetings, Sam

data-fetching ios notifications prtg-for-ios

Created on Mar 15, 2019 7:32:50 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

In this case, you'll need to use the alarms, namely Alarm Notifications in the app settings. Did you do that already? Enable the Background Data Update Frequency as well. Otherwise it won't update properly. The normal push notifications on iOS require an active internet connection on the PRTG Server. This way, the app itself queries the server. Let me know if that works for you.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 18, 2019 9:11:11 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Background refresh interval has been set to 30min Alarm notifications set to ON In iOS settings menu refresh in background is enabled.

But still no notifications when a sensor reports a failure.

Greetings, Sam

Created on Mar 21, 2019 4:44:46 PM

Votes:

Under Settings | PRTG, is "Background Refresh" enabled? Using the Low Power Mode will also actively disable that one.

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 21, 2019 6:55:40 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, i got that one enabled. And not using the battery saving mode.

Created on Mar 21, 2019 7:31:49 PM

Votes:

I tested this throughout the weekend and it didn't notify indeed. I'll forward this to our app development team to see what they say about it.

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 25, 2019 7:21:08 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We've fixed a bug whereas the notifications were not queued in the correct order. The app is submitted to the App Store and currently going through the review.

However, due to the internal works of putting apps in the background (i.e. to sleep), it's really recommended to use actual push notifications instead. Allowing PRTG to connect to https://api.prtgcloud.com:443 is sufficient for that to work.

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 29, 2019 7:18:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just found the update in the App Store and installed it. I’ll test it tomorrow (or sooner if one of our servers goes down).

Thanks for fixing!

Created on Mar 31, 2019 2:33:38 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.