What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Business Process always shows up

Votes:

Hi,

I have created a Business Process sensor, and created an "SQL Memory" channel. The channel links to only one sensor (the memory sensor on our SQL server) In the Threshold i have entered 100% in both error and warning. The SQL memory sensor shows warning in the right column.

Bu when i go to the overview og the Business Process sensor, it shows the SQL Memory channel as UP (Green), when in fact it should show warning (yellow).

What have I done wrong?

business-process channels setup threshold

Created on Mar 15, 2019 12:31:44 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Okay, you got me on this one... ;) From the manual:

The Sensor States that allow for the "up" condition icon-arrow-blue-up-full of a Business Process channel are the following:

• Up
  • Warning
  • Unusual
  • Down (Partial)

All other sensor states will support the "down" condition icon-arrow-blue-down (see the table below).

This means that the warning sensor will not actually affect the business process sensor. The source sensor must be in any other state (other than up, warning, unusual, or down) to have the Business Process Sensor go into a warning/down state :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 20, 2019 12:27:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 20, 2019 12:27:16 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Could you post some screenshots of the configuration? Feel free to obfuscate channel/sensors names.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 18, 2019 11:08:23 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I have uploaded some screenshots here:

As you can see in one of the pictures, the "SQL Memory" is green, but when looking at the settings pane, it should be yellow?

Or am i doing something wrong?

Created on Mar 18, 2019 1:09:05 PM

Last change on Mar 18, 2019 1:15:26 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Usually, one channel holds multiple sensors. Let's assume you put the two services into one and SQL, Kørsel Fejl, and Memory into one. Then it would look like this:

Channel NameError ThresholdWarning ThresholdSensors
System3467SQL Memory
SQL CPU
SQL Kørsel Fejl
Service4990Service 1
Service 2

Now, if one of the System sensors goes down, it'll go into warning. Two down? That's an error. If only one service goes down, it's going to be an error as well. You can also put more weight on Sensors by adding them twice:

Channel NameError ThresholdWarning ThresholdSensors
System5167SQL Memory
SQL Memory
SQL CPU
SQL Kørsel Fejl
Service4990Service 1
Service 2

In this case, when SQL Memory goes into a down state, the sensor will be down as well, since it accounts for more than 50% of the sensors in the channel :)

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 18, 2019 1:24:36 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay, it makes sense grouping the channels, so I have tried to make your example, but should'n the System turn yellow?

And i can't delete the once not in use..

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/NZ6fZ1T

Created on Mar 18, 2019 1:37:39 PM

Votes:

Remove the channel names to actually remove the channels. And lower the error limit to 30 for the channel to go into a warning state. I'll test this again in my installation if it won't do the trick :)

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 18, 2019 1:47:15 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Lowered to 30% but still green.. Isn't the percentage of "good" senssors? So that eg. 80% of the three sensors should be green, for the "System" to be green?

If i delete the channel name, it inserts the same value again when the input looses focus... So they can't be deleted..

We are running verison: 18.4.47.1962+

Created on Mar 18, 2019 1:51:59 PM

Votes:

I'll check that in my local installation and get back to you with the correct settings. Thanks for your patience!

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 20, 2019 11:19:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Okay, you got me on this one... ;) From the manual:

The Sensor States that allow for the "up" condition icon-arrow-blue-up-full of a Business Process channel are the following:

• Up
  • Warning
  • Unusual
  • Down (Partial)

All other sensor states will support the "down" condition icon-arrow-blue-down (see the table below).

This means that the warning sensor will not actually affect the business process sensor. The source sensor must be in any other state (other than up, warning, unusual, or down) to have the Business Process Sensor go into a warning/down state :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 20, 2019 12:27:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 20, 2019 12:27:16 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay.. Now it makes sense :)

So what about the possibility to delete a channel?

Created on Mar 20, 2019 1:07:22 PM

Votes:

They can't be deleted - only renamed and have their source Sensors changed :)

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 20, 2019 1:17:53 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.