What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Percentage for SNMP Traffic sensor

Votes:

Hi All,

I am using the SNMP Traffic sensor pointed at the internet connection on our firewall. I'm getting results, but I would like to display them as a percentage of our maximum bandwidth.

i've seen this setting on other sensors, including netflow, but I can't find it on this sensor.

Am I missing it or is it simply not available on the SNMP Traffic sensor?

prtg sensor snmp-traffic

Created on Mar 27, 2019 4:40:25 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

It's available, especially within this Sensor ;) This is to be configured in the actual channels settings of the Sensor, via the small gear in the channel(s). Select Display in percent of maximum and it will be displayed accordingly.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 27, 2019 7:56:29 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Nope, I don't see that setting. The channels don't have a gear icon at all.

Created on Mar 27, 2019 9:21:29 PM

Votes:

Could you post a screenshot of that? All channels in Sensors have a small gear icon, i.e. channel settings :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 28, 2019 8:07:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Stephan, in your reply it states that the sensor can be set to "Display in percent of maximum" It looks like this maximum is the maximum bandwidth use reported by the device and not the actual bandwidth of the interface being monitored.

It would make more sense for the SNMP Traffic sensor and the Netflow sensor to have a setting for actual bandwidth, and then display the percentage of that actual value.

Percent of maximum is not a very helpful setting for network monitoring.

For example, your competitor, IPSwitch WhatsUp Gold will learn the speed of the interface during the SNMP scan. This speed will be either the physical speed of the interface, or alternatively the speed set by the Bandwidth command on the router interface. There is also an option to manually set the speed of an interface in the WhatsUp Gold device setup.

If a router has an interface to an ISP, the rate of speed of the ISP Internet connection could be 10Mbps, but the physical speed of the interface from the router to the ISP interface box is often 1Gbps Ethernet hand-off. The WhatsUp Gold graph will show the SNMP traffic as a percentage of the 10Mbps.

Created on Jul 12, 2019 3:55:41 PM

Votes:

That's a nice approach. The actual ifSpeed should be available for each interface (we can also update the Sensor name on it). We might to look into it :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Jul 16, 2019 11:03:15 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.