What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cisco WLC Netflow

Votes:

Has anyone had any luck getting the netflow sensor to work with their Cisco WLC?

I have a Cisco 2500 series wireless controller that I have added into PRTG using the custom recommend cisco template. The template lists all my AP's ssid etc. Today I attempted to add in a NetFlow sensor in order to capture the advanced metrics that I am looking for. However for the life of me I can not get the top talkers, connections or protocols to output the expected data. I am repeatable greeted with a gray circle of 100 % "other". The total amount does indeed fluctuate and the sensor it self is green which leaves me to believe it is indeed communicating with the WLC.

I should also note i'm currently using the NetFlow V9 sensor but also had the same results with NetFlow V9 (custom) sensor

If anyone knows a trick to get this working I would be internally grateful and owe you a virtual set of cookies :)

-Tom

cisco netflow snmp

Created on Mar 28, 2019 8:53:12 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

It's not using Flexible NetFlow by any chance, is it?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 1, 2019 9:07:30 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well, I have a 2500 flying around here - but we don't use PRTG on it cause we have a Cisco Prime. But I do NetFlow with other Cisco devices and PRTG.

In any case - one thing about NetFlow sensors - you need to set it up and let it be at least a few minutes - I would recommend an hour - then you will see data.

The reason is simple - NetFlow is a "over time" thing - it takes time that this interpretation can happen.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Apr 1, 2019 4:05:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.