What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Misunderstanding "Master object for parent"

Votes:

We have recently setuped the ping sensors to "Master object for parents" in our setup, and maybe i misunderstood how to setup it, but we had an issue with one server, and every sensors (including the Ping) turned to "Paused by dependancy".

What i understood about this option is that once the ping is back, all the sensor who got paused by this dependancy should resume. But all the sensors for this device seems to be stucked on "Paused by dependancy" even if the server is back since 2 days.

Why does the Ping is paused? If we want it to detect the status of the device to control other pause/resume, it need to keep checking.

Thanks for your help

master-object ping-sensor resume

Created on Apr 1, 2019 6:10:01 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

That's a bug, resolved in the latest stable version (19.1.49.1966) - Update and it should work as intended (all but ping paused until the device is available again).

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 1, 2019 6:30:00 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks! That was fast. I'll install it tonight

Created on Apr 2, 2019 1:25:20 PM

Votes:

If you're running a cluster within your installation, please wait for the next stable update, since the cluster functionality has some issues and is not very...well, stable :( If you don't have a cluster, you can update right away :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 2, 2019 1:34:37 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

i have the same problem but we are using already the latest PRTG version.

We had setup an SNMP Custom String Lookup sensor as Master, when i trigger the Errorstate, all sensors on the device, including the Master sensor, going to pause.

What can i do?

Thanks

Created on Jun 27, 2019 12:04:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.