What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remove access to "Access Rights" from users

Votes:

I am assuming this is a negative but is there some way to disable user access to view/modify "Access Rights" of objects in PRTG.

We have a setup where users login and via group membership can see parts of the tree. They have read/write permissions to allow them to add and remove objects in their part of the tree. This however also means they can modify "Access Rights" and see all groups that can be assigned and assign them.

Can this be disabled somehow?

access-rights groups prtg

Created on Apr 3, 2019 8:35:55 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Jog,

It sounds like you are giving the rights in the wrong place. Where are you issuing the rights to these users?

If you issue them to just the child objects you want them to have read/write permissions for, then they cannot modify the parent device. This would prevent them from gaining access to other child objects they should not have access to.

Does this make sense?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Apr 3, 2019 10:23:34 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin,

Not really. Okay might not be totally clear in the issue. The user has access to exactly what he needs based on the group but of the users looks inside the group they have been granted access to and add a new device as an example (or modify an existing child object) they can override the access rights of the device and thus view the names of all available groups that can be granted access.

Consider the case where each group is a different tenant. You might not want to let a user know which other tenants are using the system.

Created on Apr 3, 2019 11:27:23 PM

Votes:

Jog,

I understand now. This would be best put in our KB forum for feature requests.

How can I propose new features for PRTG?

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Apr 4, 2019 5:45:47 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.