What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Where to locate a probe. Best Practice.

Votes:

Good Afternoon,

My PRTG Servers are in a Data Center in The Netherlands and I need to monitor a customer environment located in Austria. Monitoring will be done over the public Internet.

What would be best practice for the placement of the customer probe.

1.) In the Netherlands. Same Data Center where my PRTG servers are located (local probe)?

2.) In Austria. Customer Data Center. A Remote probe that communicates to my PRTG servers in the Netherlands (remote probe)?

Considerations:

No VPN (IPSEC) included in the picture.

I think option 2 is the most viable, however, could you please clarify? Thank you.

Regards,

Juan

monitoring probes prtg

Created on Apr 12, 2019 12:23:53 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Remote Probe in Austria is the way to go here. A VPN is not required, as the connection between Core and Probe is encrypted via TLS 1.2, if configured accordingly:

SetupSystem AdministrationCore & ProbesProbe Connection SettingsConnection SecurityHigh Security

Putting it into Austria will also decrease the latency dramatically, as the probe will just collect the metrics locally and send them to the core :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 12, 2019 7:05:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

What about latency between probes and core server ? We are about to deploy PRTG on a world wild company and we ask us on the effect of Internet latency on those communications and their effects on the core server.

Thanks,

Matthieu

Created on Jan 22, 2020 6:01:23 PM

Votes:

Are we speaking of latency problems or actual disconnects and or packet loss?

Created on Jan 24, 2020 11:24:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.