What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Factory - tag

Votes:

I'm looking to setup a sensor factory for total bandwidth of a device using SNMP traffic sensors. What I'm wondering is can I do this but instead of specifying the sensor-id manually I'd like to use a tag instead to keep things somewhat dymanic.

if I can use a tag from a current/existing sensor, versus the tag it would make things MUCH easier and dynamic - instead of having to edit the factory sensor every time I add a new interface - just add a specific tag to the 'SNMP Traffic' sensor of the new interface upon creation. I have seen on previous posts from 4 years ago that this was not possible, that you MUST provide the sensor-ID manually; and I hope this has since changed.

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance for the help

dynamic prtg sensor-factory snmp-traffic

Created on Apr 22, 2019 5:31:19 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

This is still not possible and I don't think that something like this will be implemented in the near future. Adding source channels via a tag could easily cause a huge amount of source channels for a factory sensor which causes a huge performance load for the core server. In addition, this dynamic way could lead to "strange" results that cannot traced back easily and so will be less clear.

If you think this could be a good feature for other customers, you can also open an official feature request, so other customers can vote for it.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 23, 2019 7:16:01 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.