What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cisco ASA Sensor for monitoring IKEV2 Site to Site VPN tunnels

Votes:

PRTG Support,

Some of our ASA Site to Site VPN tunnels are configured to use ikev2 for the phase 1, and we noticed that when using the PRTG sensor "SNMP Cisco ASA VPN Traffic", only the ikev1 peer IP Addresses are located and can be selected, the ikev2 peers are not in the list.

Does PRTG supports or have a particular sensor for monitoring ASA Site to Site IPSEC VPNs using ikev2? If not, is there a workaround or any way of making it work?

Thank you in advance!

cisco-asa-vpn ikev2 sensor

Created on Apr 26, 2019 6:38:24 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,

Currently there are no sensors to monitor IKEv2, it is further explained in this other article Here. But there is a Workaround that you can follow in order to accomplish this.

Regards,

Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Created on Apr 29, 2019 10:00:10 AM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply, I decided to write this question because the article referenced is from 2016, so it could have been possible that the sensor was now available. Either way I appreciated the quick response and the confirmation that the workaround is still valid.

Created on Apr 29, 2019 1:54:15 PM

Votes:

I understand your concern, and unfortunately there is still no update on that feature. It seems like the issue is not with PRTG itself but actually with the way IKEV2 behaves, since it returns the internal IP address instead of the correct target address, therefore the PRTG is unable to monitor it. But the workaround should work.

Created on Apr 30, 2019 6:52:40 AM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.