What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Syslog Receiver Probe Disconnected

Votes:

Hello,

I'm having some issues with the syslog receiver. Every time I try and search for a data that doesn't exist the probe disconnects. I've had this issue for Over a year now. I did contact support and they confirmed it to be a bug, but i haven't heard anything since . I'm posting now because it would be nice to have syslog working with PRTG as i'm using it for other purposes. Just wondering if anybody else is having the below issue.

On the Juniper SRX router I send syslog structured data messages to PRTG syslog server which contain policy rule information. The PRTG syslog server is accepting them without any issues. It's when I need to troubleshoot and start needing to search through the messages that are getting sent by the Juniper router. I log into the web interface and click on devices and then go to the syslog sensor on the Juniper SRX. I then attempt to filter details on the data tab and as long as I search for data that exists the sensor works as expected. As soon as I search on a term that doesn't exist then you start to see the PRTG Probe process begins to consume memory until it reaches a limit of 3.6 GBs and then the CPU spikes and the probe disconnects.

Thanks

bug disconnected-probe juniper syslog syslog-recevier syslog-sensor

Created on May 6, 2019 5:28:02 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

We're aware of this...limitation, I guess. According to previous tickets, the host sends rather many syslog messages to PRTG. Perhaps an alternative more suited for logging analysis, such as ELK Stack would work for you as well?

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 8, 2019 7:55:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm already using graylog as this issue has been happening for over a year now. I was hoping to centralize syslog into PRTG to cut down on the amount of applications i use for monitoring and logging.

it's indeed a limitation, meaning PRTG can't handle the amount of syslog messages my router is sending it. As a test i reduced the amount of policies that log resulting in 90% less messages sent to PRTG. Once i did this the syslog receiver worked properly with no probe disconnects.

That's unfortunate as that's one of the reasons we purchased PRTG.

Thanks

Created on May 8, 2019 3:22:05 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the update on this one. We've bumped the ticket internally to have it revisited - perhaps we can resolve this anytime soon.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 9, 2019 7:09:39 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.