What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Upgrade .net question

Votes:

Hi we have now version 18.4.47.1962 running. There are new versions available, but the requirement is that .net 4.7.2 is installed on all probe servers. As we have a lot of probes on customer servers running, we cannot upgrade them all to this .net version.

We use the WMI sensors, and also MSSQL V2 sensors on customers.

I suppose everything will break if we install the latest version on our prtg server, or is there a way around?

I'm asking this because lately we have some probes failing, in the sense that prtgprobe starts to consume 100% cpu. After a probe restart this cpu usage becomes normal again and everything works again perfect for a couple of days.... We already do a restart of probes once a week, but this seems not to be sufficient.

Any thoughts on this, as we first want to use the latest version before start troubleshouting the probe cpu usage.

Rgds Benny

manual-upgrade prtg remote-probe

Created on May 7, 2019 7:39:26 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi Benny,

Please note that only exe based sensors need .NET Framework 4.7.2 on their Probe Servers. This article provides more detailed information and also shows the affected sensor types.

Please let me know if there are further questions.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on May 7, 2019 10:01:27 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Birk, thnx for the reply. I see the types in the article, but how can i find out in my PRTG server what kind of sensors a specific probe uses. I cannot see the type of the sensor once it's created, and also how can i see if a sensor type is exe based? maybe i'm just looking in the wrong place....

Rgds Benny

Created on May 7, 2019 10:07:33 AM

Votes:

Ok forget for the type....i was looking indeed in the wrong place. I have a probe with sensor type Microsoft SQL V2...so if i want to keep using this...i need to make sure the correct .net version is there because it's in the list of sensor needing .net

Is there anywhere i can see that this is a exe sensor?

Rgds Benny

Created on May 7, 2019 10:09:36 AM

Votes:

Hi Benny,

You can find the specific sensor types by navigating to "Sensors | By Type | Choose Type", but I think you already found it.
I'm not sure what you want to know here, all Sensor that are shown in the provided article are exe based Sensors. If you install the new version and the Probes don't have the needed .NET version, the sensors will just display an error message, so you can install the needed .NET Framework afterwards.

Kind regards,

Created on May 8, 2019 8:28:10 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Birk,
Thnx for the aide.

Unfortunately we cannot upgrade all the probes to the desired .net version, because they are running on customer systems, and some of them need more than only .net to install and needs to be done by IT department of customer. So i can take a long while before all systems are updated....so i'm afraid until that time we cannot upgrade our PRTG version anymore.

There is no workaround for this i suppose? It seems it's for the moment only 1 type of sensor, SQL V2 sensor, that is impacted on our systems. The rest of the .exe sensors we don't use.

It's not possible i suppose to put the old exe for this sql sensor back after we upgrade prtg?

Rgds Benny

Created on May 8, 2019 10:08:23 AM

Last change on May 8, 2019 12:39:41 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Benny,

I'm sorry, there is no workaround available here.

Kind regards,

Created on May 8, 2019 12:53:38 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.