What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

CPU Utilisation Threshold

Votes:

I would like to be able to setup a rule as follows

• When total utilization of CPU is >95% for 3 mins or more then set CPU utilization sensor to error/down (red status alert)

I don't want to send any email notifications. I just want this to display on the alerts page in PRTG as a red alert.

Is this something that I can set on a per sensor basis or is this a global change ?

cpu-utilization prtg wmi

Created on May 7, 2019 5:26:07 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi mattrobinson,

Thank you for the post.

Please note that this is not possible in PRTG. PRTG can only send delayed notifications. The Sensor state cannot be changed with delay.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on May 8, 2019 12:23:20 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 8, 2019 12:24:13 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply.

Would this not be a nice feature to build into new releases ? I would image I'm not the only person that would like this.

Created on May 8, 2019 12:25:06 PM

Votes:

Hi mattrobinson,

We provide the possibility to create a feature request in our Knowledge Base. If you want to do this, please follow the steps described in this article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

Please note that we may reject the request as we already discussed this feature internally. The result is that this feature can cause many issues regarding dependencies and notification triggers and therefore increases complexity. If, for example, a Ping Sensor is delayed in the "Down" state and all other Sensors are dependent on this Ping Sensor, the other Sensors will only be displayed as "Down" because the target device cannot be reached and the Ping Sensor changes state with a delay.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on May 8, 2019 2:44:50 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.