What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Microsoft security update kb4494440 caused problems for PRTG

Votes:

After kb4494440 was installed, our PRTG server CPU spiked to 100% and stayed there until we removed the update. Most of the CPU time was from MS SQL sensors (v2) and Powershell scripts running from PRTG sensors. Has anyone else has this issue?

powershell prtg sql sql-v2

Created on Jun 4, 2019 11:29:34 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi Peter,

We've indeed seen this with other customers and are currently evaluating the issue. For the time being, please remove the update to restore previous performance. Note that KB4495590 might cause a similar behavior. Since you mentioned a different update, is PRTG Server.exe or PRTG Probe.exe experiencing causing a high load?

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 5, 2019 8:25:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 5, 2019 8:38:51 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Neither PRTG Server.exe or Probe.exe were using high CPU. It was entirely the MS SQL v2 sensors and Powershell scripts, being run from sensors.

Created on Jun 5, 2019 2:18:44 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the update, that helps narrowing it down. Much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 5, 2019 3:19:19 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

To clarify, this was happening on one of our Remote Probes. The patch has not (yet) been installed on any other probes, or the core server, to my knowledge.

Created on Jun 5, 2019 8:23:27 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the update on this one :)

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 6, 2019 6:46:21 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just a quick update that I opened up a developer ticket for this for investigation, in case we can do anything about it that is.

Created on Jun 7, 2019 11:11:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We just had the same problem with another update - KB4505052 I'm really not sure what's happening here. Do these updates all have some of the same code that's breaking PRTG?

This seems really bizarre.

Created on Jun 11, 2019 8:22:38 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the update on this one, I'll add it to the list - that makes three updates that don't behave with PRTG. I hope that eases pinpointing the actual issue here. Perhaps we need to build our Sensors against a different .NET version or something like that...

Created on Jun 12, 2019 6:27:04 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Add kb4499177 to the list.

Created on Jun 18, 2019 9:19:52 PM

Votes:

Thanks for updating on this so frequently, it's much appreciated!

Created on Jun 19, 2019 6:08:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.