What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSL Certificate Monitoring Error

Votes:

I am having issues setting up an SSL certificate monitoring sensor. I have set it up multiple times before and there must be something up with this specific site. I have done a lot of research and haven't found anything related to the error I am receiving.

“Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14077438:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert internal error [Step 1] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14077438:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert internal error [Step 2] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14077438:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert internal error [Step 3] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:1409442E:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert protocol version [Step 4] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14094410:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert handshake failure [Step 5] Error connecting with SSL. EOF was observed that violates the protocol”

Any ideas?

14094410 error-messages ssl-certificate

Created on Jun 19, 2019 4:35:56 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Are you running the latest version by any chance? If so, please disable the NPCAP Loopback adapter in the network panel of Windows, restart the Core and Probe service and check if the Sensor works afterwards.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 20, 2019 11:10:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the response. I am currently running version 19.1.48.2929. I checked the network panel of windows and there isn't an NPCAP lookback adapter present. The only NIC that is present is the one the server is currently utilizing.

I have multiple SSL monitors in place and this is the only one that is giving me issues.

I have noticed when I go to the actual website that the SSL certificate is installed on, I get a notification stating the connection to the website isnt fully secure. The certificate is valid so I examined the source code for the website and I noticed some of the images that are referenced are a HTTP link and not HTTPS.

Could this be a possible reason why the certificate monitor is failing?

Thanks!

Created on Jun 24, 2019 3:58:17 PM

Votes:

Hi,

This should not affect the certificate, the port is configured for 443?

To see what's returned, please open the settings page of the sensor in PRTG and enable the option "Write sensor result to disk (Filename: "Result of Sensor [ID].txt")". The results will be written into the log file directory of the probe, where the sensor is configured:

C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors)

Please zip and forward the files for further investigation. The ID of the sensor is part of the web browser URL and is also displayed on the sensor's overview page.

Also provide a screenshot of the sensor's settings page and let us know if any kind of Proxy is involved.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team#

Created on Jun 25, 2019 7:24:09 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I posted the logs but haven't heard back and wanted to follow up to see if there is an update.

Created on Jun 28, 2019 3:48:18 PM

Votes:

Hello Scott,

I already answered you via email. I re-send it a few moments ago.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 1, 2019 7:37:30 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.