What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WinRM

Votes:

Hello,

Is there any update on the status of WinRM sensors for Windows Servers?

WMI sensors are a performance bottleneck at the PRTG side, and SNMP has been depreciated if not yet completely removed from Windows Server and does not support secure versions.

I appreciate that custom sensors are possible, but if I have to write custom sensors for basic system information such as disk and processor stats then I might as well write my own monitoring system in PowerShell, or move to a different pre-built solution.

snmp winrm wmi

Created on Jul 15, 2019 10:40:52 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi Chris,

What exact Sensors are you referring to, if I may ask?

PRTGapi | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 16, 2019 3:10:03 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

It's more of a general query rather than a question about a specific sensor or sensors.

WMI sensor performance load on our probe servers is the main thing preventing us consolidating them. These are mostly sensors against Windows devices generally monitoring the basics such as Disk Free, Processor, Memory, Service State etc.

One of my colleagues spoke to PRTG support about this and they recommended SNMP, however it's a depreciated feature in Windows Server these days so may not be present in any future builds, and also doesn't support SNMP v3 so can't be adequately secured.

My understanding is that CIM in the form of WinRM is lighter on the requesting side, easier to secure, and is the direction Microsoft is pushing things in terms of remote management and monitoring.

Is there any update on this blog post by the way? https://blog.paessler.com/the-wmi-performance-test-2012-edition

Created on Jul 17, 2019 8:27:50 AM

Votes:

Hi Chris,

Please excuse my delayed response. We're currently indeed looking at migrating to PowerShell Core for our custom-based Sensors, and with that, we might be able to leverage the advantages of CIM. However, that's somewhat in the distant future and I can't give any ETA or outlooks on that :( I've forwarded the blog article to the product manager, so he can check if there are any new tests we can do.

Created on Jul 23, 2019 8:54:09 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK. Thank you. We'll continue as we are for now then, and review things when the probe consolidation issue becomes pressing for us.

Created on Jul 23, 2019 9:28:37 AM

Votes:

Hi folks, is there any new update concerning the support of cim in terms of WinRM?

Created on Apr 28, 2022 8:04:26 AM

Votes:

is there any new update concerning the support of cim in terms of WinRM?

Created on May 25, 2023 11:42:54 AM

Votes:

Hello Alexander,

Unfortunately, there are no updates yet from developers on this matter.

Regards

Created on May 30, 2023 2:07:07 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.