What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Execute HTTP Action notification template method should support HTTP Authorization and JSON body

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want the 'Execute HTTP Action' custom notification template to be able to send the body as a JSON object and set an HTTP Header ("Authorization").

Details of User Story

When making API calls to external systems such as Ansible Tower, parameters such as JSON in the body and HTTP authentication/authorization headers are required. In the current implementation of custom HTTP notification templates with PRTG, only unauthenticated/unauthorized HTTP headers without JSON in the body are supported. Most enterprise applications require authorization and/or authentication, and JSON as the body format. Currently, the only option for the body of the message is the 'Payload' field which is just a giant string.

Acceptance criteria

• 'Execute HTTP Action' custom notification template should include an option to send the body as JSON, and when selected, should accept properly formatted JSON. Bonus points for built-in JSON validater in the field.
  • 'Execute HTTP Action' custom notification template should include an option to set an HTTP authorization header, which might include a token or API key (among other possible HTTP authorization methods).

Status

Open

add-feature custom-notification execute-http-action json prtg-kbtracker

Created on Aug 7, 2019 11:14:00 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Currently we have ticket in the Backlog to add options for custom content-types (e.g. "application/json"). When this will be added to PRTG is not yet clear. - This is just an fyi that something similar is already planned. If this topic however get's enough attention, then the priority on the Backlog-Case might increase.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 8, 2019 10:32:42 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dariusz and team, I want to confirm that your backlog ticket also includes the HTTP Authorization header feature? I want to make sure it is understood that I am not asking for just the json content-type. Strictly speaking, this could be interpreted as two separate feature requests but I am not sure how you want to treat it. Thanks!

Created on Aug 8, 2019 10:43:50 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, it does not. However should this topic get enough attention I am certain that it will be added as well (will be a HTTP Action rewrite or something similar). So you cover both cases with one ticket.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 8, 2019 11:05:10 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good day. Tell me, please, we have a jira service desk and we want to create tasks in jira based on events from prgt sensors. The easiest way is to send a json request with certain parameters, but this request also contains headers that cannot be added to prgt notifications at the moment. Is there any other way to create tasks in jira by events in prtg? Or when you can approximately expect the implementation of the functionality for sending requests like json?

Created on Dec 6, 2019 1:07:02 PM

Votes:

Dear HEKPUCT,

as of now there not even a rough ETA on that feature. A custom header option currently does not have the priority to be implemented soon, but has enough priority to be considered for future implementation. We get a lot of good suggestions, even too many suggestions to do implement all of them. The prioritization changes based on the needs of users.

For now, please wrote a Powershell script and run it through the notification template. With Powershell, you can use the commandlet invoke-webrequest and and pass both HTTP headers, and of course the content.

Created on Dec 6, 2019 5:50:47 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear PRTG Support,

in my opinion ist is a must have to add at least HTTP headers like "Authorization: Basic" to the Execute HTTP Action. A json/xml body would also be good. Otherwise other REST systems, which are also secured like PRTG itself, can't be implemntetd in any way. Well, maybe you can switch off authentication fo the other REST API, but this would be a huge impact in IoT security.

Can you please have a look at it and implement such a feature in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Created on Feb 21, 2021 10:55:44 AM

Votes:

This functionality would allow the integration of notifications with Google Chat, which is very a important tool for the operations team.

Created on Nov 23, 2022 5:02:31 PM

Votes:

This additional feature will be benefitial to any IT Support teams using any modern ITSM tool that supports REST APIs. In our case, we use service-now, without JSON support in the body or authorization in the header I cannot make PRTG open incidents easily in Service-now.

Please provide an update on this feature request.

Thank you.

Seif

Created on May 5, 2023 4:38:56 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.