What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

System Information Returns Error for IOS Devices

Votes:

Hi there. All of my devices return error in "System Information" tab, while they have SNMP traffic and other SNMP data on PRTG. I have 3 different data in different sections of "System Information" tab. In "System" section, i have no problem and the data is complete. In "Software" section, i have the "remote registry" error (code: PE255) that i think this is normal, cause the IOS devices (e.g. Cisco switch) is not a windows OS. And finally in the remaining 4 sections, namely: "Hardware", "Users", "Services" and "Processes" i receive this error: "Incomplete connection settings or credentials". Would you please help me on this issue? Thanks a lot

device error system-information

Created on Aug 10, 2019 1:12:11 PM

22 Replies

Votes:

Only System is queried via SNMP, the rest is WMI only I'm afraid :(

Created on Aug 12, 2019 8:26:39 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So, where can i find a router model (like Cisco 65xx)? There is only software version and some other information In "System" section and in its "Description" filed.

Created on Aug 13, 2019 12:07:52 PM

Last change on Aug 13, 2019 12:07:52 PM

Votes:

Well, where would you like to display that? Within a Sensor, as Sensor message?The System Information unfortunately doesn't disclose these details.

Using the SNMP Custom String Sensor, you could check 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.13.1001, which should contain the actual model number. At least from what I've found.

Created on Aug 14, 2019 7:17:09 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 14, 2019 7:17:51 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Stephan, Thanks for the recent tips. It was very useful and practical. So, now we have "IOS version" in "description" field in "system" section in "System Information" tab and also "Device Model" in "SNMP Custom String Sensor" as you mentioned. Now, is there any way to have reports about these 2 items for all devices? (IOS Version and Device Model) Kindly Thanks and best regards.

Created on Aug 17, 2019 12:45:00 PM

Votes:

Sorry for the delay on this. Unfortunately, the System Information cannot be reported upon. The device model could be reported via the API. Using the query builder under <prtg>/api.htm?tabid=3 and filtering for the tag via

filter_tags=@tags(the-tag-my-device-model-sensors-have)

...you should be able to retrieve them. You can select between JSON, XML, and CSV for the output.

Created on Aug 21, 2019 8:30:40 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Stephan, thanks for your reply. Would you please explain a little more? Let us review once again:

1. I have my IOS versions of my devices in system information tab. And you say i can't have a report of all my device's IOS version together (in a summarized report). But i had seen it can be reported from its folder in PRTG install path as JSON files, before in your knowledge base answers. If its true, would you please help me how can i make a reports of my all device's system information (IOS version) through this way?
  2. About the SNMP Custom String Sensor that gets my device model, is the API Query that you mentioned available in PRTG version 17.x ? If so, is the solution same as you mentioned above? (<prtg>/api.htm?tabid=3 and filtering for the tag) Kindly thanks a lot

Created on Aug 26, 2019 2:20:59 PM

Last change on Aug 26, 2019 6:40:16 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

System Information can be retrieved as well. PRTGapi should be compatible with 17.4 onwards :)

The API call regarding the tags hasn't changed, so it should apply for 17.x as well.

Created on Aug 26, 2019 7:52:05 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How about versions before 17.4? (e.g. 17.3)

Created on Aug 26, 2019 8:00:30 PM

Votes:

PRTGapi or the API call with the tags? The latter should work, not sure about PRTGapi.

Created on Aug 27, 2019 7:38:12 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So, according to our version, would you please explain the API call for this report?

Created on Aug 27, 2019 9:09:59 AM

Votes:

What are you referring to? The system information report? That's explained here:
https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI/wiki/Devices#system-information-1

You have to be more precise :)

Created on Aug 27, 2019 3:59:12 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear stephan, what i wanted to know was the API call for device models (all device models that created via custom string sensors) in our version namely 17.3 . Thanks for your reply.

Created on Aug 28, 2019 1:13:54 AM

Votes:

That would be the following: /api/table.json?content=sensors&output=json&columns=objid,device,sensor,message&filter_tags=@tag(mycustomtag)

Created on Aug 29, 2019 12:26:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks a lot for you cooperation,
With your guidance we have now been able to obtain the device model and OS version reports.
1- About device model report: Can we have the device IP in the report also?
2- About OS version report: The cmdlets "Get-SystemInfo" and "Get-Device" is not recognized for my PRTG server's PowerShell (x86 and x64).

Created on Sep 3, 2019 8:45:42 AM

Votes:

The cmdlets are only available when installing PRTGapi on the PRTG server. Regarding to the API call, use columns=objid,device,host,sensor,message instead. Note that you will get the value of the address field (not necessarily an IP, but could be the FQDN as well, depending on what is configured).

Created on Sep 3, 2019 10:40:25 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

1. About the device model (SNMP custom string sensor) API, I've tried the "host" myself before. It returns blank (""). I didn't get the value of the address field of the sensor's parent host.
  2. About the OS Version, as i said before, i use version 17.3 on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and PowerShell 4. So according to my PRTG Version, i think it does not support PRTG API. Am i right?

Created on Sep 3, 2019 12:58:49 PM

Last change on Sep 3, 2019 1:06:13 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

1. That was my bad, sorry - you're querying Sensors, hence the host field is not available. You can only access the device column here. You'd need to use Get-Device and Get-Sensor in combination to access the device name. This might require some PowerShell knowledge
  2. Please give it a try, it may be compatible - it will error, if not :)

Created on Sep 3, 2019 1:11:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Stephan,
Thanks for your helps,
I installed PowerShell V5.1 and i could install the PRTGAPI successfully.
Also i could connect to PRTG Server via PowerShell and get report of "System Information", but just if i set my PRTG web access port on 443. When i change it to 80 and run the cmdlet "Connect-PrtgServer" and then insert my server IP, it returns this error: "Server rejected HTTPS connection on port 443. Please confirm expected server protocol and port, PRTG Core Service is running and that any SSL certificate is trusted." And if i run the cmdlet Connect-PrtgServer -Server MyServerIP:80 ...or Connect-PrtgServer -Server MyServerIP:80 -IgnoreSSL ...returns this: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

1. How can i use PRTGAPI with PRTG on port 80?
  2. Finally, the cmdlet "Get-SystemInfo -Id X System" returns just the System Information of the host X. But i want the OS Version of All my devices together. Is there any solution in PowerShell PRTGAPI?

Kindly appreciate if you could help

Created on Sep 4, 2019 10:50:25 AM

Last change on Sep 4, 2019 11:08:50 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

PRTGapi only works with a HTTPS enabled PRTG installation - no way around. As for the scripting, we can't really assist with that - you'll need to figure that out yourself I'm afraid. We did customizing in the past, but it's too time intensive for both sides I'm afraid :(

Created on Sep 4, 2019 12:03:35 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If no protocol is specified, PrtgAPI will assume HTTPS. To connect via HTTP you must specify this explicitly

Connect-PrtgServer http://prtg.example.com

For more information please see Getting Started

Regards,

lordmilko

Created on Sep 11, 2019 3:23:21 PM

Votes:

In regards to your second query, you can see in the examples that there are two ways to use the Get-SystemInfo cmdlet. For a single device via the -Id parameter, or for any number of devices by piping in one or more Device objects

To retrieve System system info for all devices whose name contains "cisco" you could do the following

Get-Device *cisco* | Get-SystemInfo -Type System

Using these techniques you can potentially develop a script to retrieve all the data you need and transform it any way you like

Regards,

lordmilko

Created on Sep 11, 2019 3:30:28 PM

Votes:

@lordmilko Thanks for chiming in!

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 12, 2019 7:16:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.