What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Groups within a device?

Votes:

I'd like to be able to create a group within a device to so that I can hold a certain subset of sensors apart from the others, but still attach them to the same device as the others. This does not appear possible, though I do not mind being wrong at all.

Presuming I'm not, is this something we can get in future builds/versions?

groups improve-prtg prtg

Created on Oct 4, 2019 6:01:02 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

OK, so the method we use for this is a little unorthodox, but here is how we accomplish this.

You start by creating a Group, and naming it the name of your device. Then within that group, you create as many instances of your device as you want groups.

Example:

Group -> Cisco Router
Device -> Interfaces
Device -> Netflow
Device -> System Health
Device -> SNMP Traps

Each device in that example is the same device over and over. This is one of the nice features with PRTG in how you can have multiple instances of the same device. Then from each device, just hang the sensors that fit the "group".

Does this make sense to you?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 5, 2019 1:48:38 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Last change on Oct 5, 2019 1:48:56 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

We are looking for the same feature. we have devices with more than 100 sensors and its, lets say, a mess.

the above example we were forced to when we started to use Cisco Nexus Systems with Fabric Extender. We have nexus with more than 1000 Ethernet Ports.

its a huge overhead in implementing this in prtg and it is not possible to automate such stuff.

So I would also vote for a feature request

Created on Oct 5, 2019 10:09:20 AM

Votes:

Yeah I think so. The "%" variables (like %name or %device) will also help me here. Thanks!

Created on Oct 7, 2019 5:22:34 PM

Votes:

To propose a feature request, please check out the following link.

How can I propose new features of sensors for PRTG?

Thanks!

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 7, 2019 8:14:56 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.