What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I check 'Percent used Memory' in Memory sensor ?

Votes:

It's important to check the usage of CPU, Memory, DISK in server monitoring.

Generally, I check the usage with the percent of used.

In Windows OS, the usage is displayed percent of used on 'Performance' tap in Task Manager. In Linux OS, the usage is also displayed percent of used by running the command 'TOP'.

I can't find 'Percent used' in Memory senor. ( without using Factory sensor )

Is it possible to select "Percent used" in Memory sensor ?

I think this feature is useful for system administrator so hope that this feature will be released someday.

Thanks.

memory memory-use percents snmp

Created on Oct 25, 2019 4:34:46 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the post.

We have no native Sensor that displays the used memory. Unfortunately, it's also not possible to use a SNMP custom Sensor, since you need to multiply the OID "hrStorageUsed" with "hrStorageAllocationUnits" and therefore you would also need a Factory Sensor.

As a result, you need a Factory Sensor to display the used memory.

Created on Oct 25, 2019 8:36:12 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply.

You mean that thare is no available OID for used memory ?

I think that it is possible to add an channel 'Percent Used Memory' on Memory Sensor by calulating simply "100 - Percent Available Memory(%)".

Created on Oct 25, 2019 2:01:40 PM

Votes:

Hi Jonathan,

there is a OID which displays the used space. However, the OID does not displays the number of bytes. Instead it displays the number of allocation units. These units are also defined in another OID. Therefore, you would need to mutliply the used space OID with the allocated units OID to receive the used memory.

If you want that we add a new feature to PRTG, I would recommend to create a Feature Request in our Knowledge Base. If enough user vote for the feature, we will add it to our pipeline.

Created on Oct 28, 2019 6:48:00 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.