What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unusual detection measures an irrelevant channel

Votes:

We have an XML/HTTP sensor which is only supposed to measure the value of a specific XML node. On the "Overview" tab we can also see the "Execution time" for this HTTP request, which is completely irrelevant for this sensor, so we have chosen "Hide in graphs", "Hide in tables" and "Disable limits" for this sensor. So far so good.

However, the "Unusual Detection" reacts on the execution time of this sensor, showing this sensor as having an unusual value, even though the relevant value from the XML node has been exactly the same for several months.

How do we stop the "Unusual Detection" from reacting to irrelevant channels? As I have understood from reading other forum posts, it is not possible to delete the channel in question.

unusual unusual-detection xml

Created on Nov 12, 2019 6:03:38 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Yes, if you don't want the Unusual Detection for one automatically created channel, you have to disable the unusual detection for the whole device.

Kind regards

Created on Nov 15, 2019 7:13:48 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

The unusual detection can be deactivated globally under Setup > Monitoring > Unusual Detection. Also, it can be disabled/enabled on device-, group-, probe- and root-level under Advanced Network Analysis > Unusual Detection.

Please refer to the links below for further details:
- https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_states
- https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/monitoring_settings#unusual

Otherwise it's currently not possible to disable the Unusual Detection only on sensor or channel level. You have the opportunity to upvote a Feature Request which you can find here.

Kind regards

Created on Nov 13, 2019 8:14:56 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it possible to create an HTTP/XML sensor without the "Execution time"-channel then? We do not want to disable Unusual Detection for this sensor, even if it was possible. We want the Unusual Detection for the XML-node value we set up the sensor for.

Please have a look at this picture which shows what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/41IoPMt

The "Value" (which is what I want to monitor) is consistent over the last few months, but the sensor status is showing as unusual because of an unusually high "Execution time", which is not relevant for us to measure.

Thanks in advace.

Created on Nov 13, 2019 4:57:12 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to create the HTTP/XML sensor without the "Execution time"-channel, as this channel is a default channel. You have the opportunity to disable the Unusual Detection via the Settings of the device. You find these setting in the Advanced Network Analysis

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2019 10:39:34 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself clearly. We do want Unusual Detection for the XML-node value we set the sensor up for. Even more importantely, we DEFINITELY want Unusual Detection on other sensors for the same device.

Are you saying that if we do not want Unusual Detection for ONE automatically created (and unwanted) channel for ONE sensor we can, in fact, not use Unusual Detection for any of the 50 sensors we have set up for the same device?

Thanks again.

Created on Nov 14, 2019 7:23:28 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Yes, if you don't want the Unusual Detection for one automatically created channel, you have to disable the unusual detection for the whole device.

Kind regards

Created on Nov 15, 2019 7:13:48 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.