What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[OPEN] PRTG Maps Destination/Source IP Data Tables

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want a nice map that shows me - which destination IP is pulling down the most data at any point in our corporate network, with the aggregate for the IP next to it. - which source IP is sending back the most data at any point to our corporate network, with the aggregate for the IP next to it.

We are thinking of using the Netflow services from our main switch, and PRTG to display it.

In PRTG I found the following, and got it working in a test environment - - the netflow sensor - Maps, Graphs - Top 10 list of a Sensor, which we can use to display the nice circle picture showing an IP, and we see the most used IP, with a Percentage showing for that IP. - Maps, Data Tables - Primary Toplist of a Sensor

I setup IPFix in a test environment against a test firewall. The firewall correctly sends data to the PTRG IPFix sensor I setup. I developed a test map, which shows the circle graph for a sensor. This is pretty good. Below it on the map I have the Primary toplist of a sensor Data table. The only problem is, the Data Table is broken down by both Destination and Source IP, and this is not exactly what we need.

Details of User Story

We don't want both destination and source IP in the single table, as it shows below Pos Source IP/DNS Name Destination IP/DNS Name bytes %

For the immediate use of the network management, we really the above table broken into 2 tables. One for destination, one for source.

One table will be the below -

Pos Source IP/DNS Name bytes %

The other table will be the below -

Pos Destination IP/DNS Name bytes %

This way, we can much quicker identify single sources or destinations that are problems, depending on what we are interested in. The other table is good, but we really want this option.

I don't believe it would be that hard to add to the system, it's the same table as the existing one, just cutting out one column in each.

Acceptance criteria

• Two new tables available in "Data Tables" in the PRTG Map Designer.
  • The two tables are copies of "Primary Toplist of a sensor"
  • Table 1 to be called - Primary Toplist of a sensor by Destination IP" - fields - Pos, Destination IP/DNS Name, Bytes, %
  • Table 2 to be called - Primary Toplist of a sensor by Source IP" - fields - Pos, Source IP/DNS Name, Bytes, %

Status

Open

add-feature improve-prtg prtg-kbtracker

Created on Nov 22, 2019 2:22:44 AM

Last change on Nov 22, 2019 5:18:00 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.