What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[OPEN] Add ability to pause notification triggers without pausing a sensor

Votes:

I would like to add the ability to pause sensor notifications without pausing the overall sensor. There are many instances when this would be useful. For example, if we are doing maintenance on a server, we still want to be able to collect data on that server, but we don't necessarily want notifications during the maintenance. As another example, I have a server where the CPU is consistently above thresholds. I don't need notifications on this while we are working to solve the problem, but I do still want to collect CPU data.

Currently, the only option I'm aware of to do this is to pause an entire sensor, which stops collection of data as well, which does not work. Please provide an option to silence or "acknowledge" notifications on a per-sensor level, without having to turn the sensor off or resort to schedules that disable ALL notifications.

add-feature improve-prtg notifications prtg-kbtracker

Created on Dec 16, 2019 2:43:09 PM

Last change on Sep 6, 2022 2:25:04 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

It's also possible to only pause notifications. Therefore, please navigate to "Setup | Account Settings | Notification Templates". You can click directly on the pause icon to pause the corresponding notification or mark multiple ones and pause in a bulk.

Please note, that you need to remember to resume those. It's not possible to set a specific time span here. For weekly pause schedules, you can also configure a schedule in the notification template settings.

For any further questions or issues, we're glad to help.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 17, 2019 10:14:10 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, but that still doesn't quite solve it. For example, I have a CPU sensor that I want to quiet down. That sensor is also part of the "All CPU Sensors" library. I do not want to pause that library sensor because I might miss other sensors going off, and it won't let me remove my single CPU sensor from that library.

Created on Dec 17, 2019 12:53:59 PM

Votes:

Hey,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to pause the triggers for specific devices or sensors. Bit since you mentioned, that you used a library here, you could remove those sensors from the library.

Example:

• Add a tag to the corresponding Sensors or devices (e.g.: exclude)
  • Exclude this tag from the library (Filter By Tags: -exclude) With the - those sensor will get excluded and so no trigger is configured for them.

Note, that you also need to revert this after your maintenance. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to accomplish this at the moment.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 17, 2019 3:34:33 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Our NOC monitors the PRTG alarm page and calls out when alarms of a certain priority show up. We don't want to stop the monitoring for historical data collection, but when there is scheduled maintenance, we don't want to be called in the middle of the night for no reason (e.g. a 3rd party doing network maintenance). We want to be able to schedule disabling of alarms for such periods.

Created on Jul 10, 2020 12:14:06 AM

Votes:

Hi,

For this you need to enter the schedule into the notification template which should be paused in the maintenance. Currently if you enter the schedule into the device or group where you execute the maintenance the sensor will get paused and will stop to monitor and collect the values.

Created on Jul 10, 2020 6:49:36 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I also need a function to pause a sensor while there is still data collected.

We have a problem on a server with the cpu. So the cpu workload is on 98 % and sometimes 70 % We are working on it so I want to see how it is in prtg.

But I get the whole time notifications an alarms.

Created on Oct 14, 2021 8:23:00 AM

Votes:

Hi Rixius,

the sensor status PAUSED in PRTG indicates, that the sensor won't be scanned at all. This is the intended reason of this status. Please keep in mind that if you pause the notification template it is paused for every sensor/device/group where you have configured this template.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 19, 2021 6:36:23 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Created on Feb 18, 2022 2:16:44 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.