What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Active directory group inherited permissions

Votes:

Hi Everyone,

We have are currently reviewing our security groups in AD and are trying to allow users to login to PRTG who are a member of a group which is a member of a group in PRTG.

e.g. I am a member of the "Department - IT" security group, this group is a member of the "Access - PRTG" group which is mapped in PRTG to a group of the same name.

Is there a particular reason why PRTG does not check members of sub groups here? I can see in the PRTG manual that this is not allowed but i was wondering why not? And can this be allowed? Maybe as a checkbox in the server settings?

Thanks for the help guys!

active-directory feature-request prtg

Created on Jan 14, 2020 9:52:24 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

I'm afraid, this is not possible at the moment. PRTG here simply checks the access rights for the specified group. Going down to sub groups would cause additional load and may trigger issues in bigger scenarios. Also the depiction for sub groups will be difficult in PRTG here and may cause confusion.

Created on Jan 14, 2020 1:19:26 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz!

Thanks for the quick reply! :D

I realise that this could be problematic in larger deployments but could it not be enabled as a feature that you can enable in the settings? So in smaller deployments it can be used but in larger deployments it could be disabled?

Created on Jan 14, 2020 1:33:32 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback!
If you want to create a corresponding feature request, please use the steps described here
If enough user vote for this request, we will add it to our pipeline.

Created on Jan 15, 2020 8:06:56 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.