What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom map : Name of the edited device/sensor

Votes:

Hi,

A lot of custom map item do not show the sensor/device name he refer to in the "in map" thats neat and it save visual space. But when you are making a map with lot of those little item, and you have lined 20 of them, it become totally impossible to know what is which.

So i request that the name of the currently selected item is shown in his property windows.

Regards,

add-feature custom-map

Created on Apr 8, 2020 1:01:01 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Which map object are you using? Some map objects are showing the sensor/device name and others are not. So you can either choose map objects that display the name by default or you can add text to the map to label the map objects manually.

Created on Apr 9, 2020 9:43:05 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I'm using a "sensor status icon" (roughly translated) without the text because the map look like this:

- An item linking to the device status with the name of the device showing.
- Some item linking to sensors of this device status, without their name showing. (because it take too much space, i have to fit there like 16 box)
- Each of these item link to the PRTG sensor when you click on them.
- Each of these item is linked to another item on the map to show real connection.

I could add a little text box next to each telling who is which, but even so if I make a mistake and move the wrong item next to a text, how can Ii know its the wrong item ? no way to know the origin of an item if his name is not shown on the map...

Thats why it could be really useful to be able to see the selected item origin while he is selected.

Hope you understood the problem !

Created on Apr 9, 2020 9:51:10 AM

Last change on Apr 10, 2020 6:50:24 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thank you for clarifying. I understand your issue. However I'm afraid this is not possible currently. The good news: Even though there's no ETA yet, a new reworked Map Designer is already on our roadmap. You can also propose new feature requests here.

Created on Apr 10, 2020 7:01:31 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.