What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG event ID and Task scheduler Trigger

Votes:

Hello everyone,
I am new to the PRTG so I hope you could help me with my scenario is as follow:

1/ I have a APC smart-UPS, and I have it added and configured using SNMP in PRTG properly. I get push message to my iPhone if there is power outage on the UPS, all working OK.

2/ I wrote a script which make a back up of a folder on our local machine (the PRTG network server/desktop) to a network drive

3/ I use MS Windows-own "Task Scheduler" program to setup the trigger as to "when" to run the script. In the trigger setting, there is an option called "on an Event"...

4/ If there is power outage, then one of the APC-UPS sensor will send back an "Event ID" to the PRTG, then PRTG push notification to my iphone's PRTG app letting me know there's power outage.

My question is:

How can I config/setup the PRTG event ID in Windows's Task Scheduler to run the back-up Script in the event of Power Outage?

Thank you very much

event-id snmp wmi

Created on Apr 19, 2020 7:32:33 AM

Last change on Apr 20, 2020 11:45:08 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I got you correct here. I would recommend to run the script directly with PRTG here. Therefore, you need to create a new notification template (Setup | Account Settings | Notification Template) and choose "Execute Program" (note, you script must be located in the correct folder. Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Notifications\exe).

Afterwards, you need to setup the trigger on the corresponding sensor.

Please let me know if this fits your requirements.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 20, 2020 4:17:51 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Birk,
I did not think of this feature in PRTG, so neat and did the trick
And I have just 1 more question:
We are going to implement this PRTG in one of our production servers. How could I save all the settings on this PRTG server (such as sensor types, triggers, alarm, thread hold, etc...) and apply these settings on the new one?
Thank you for your help again
Kind regards,
James

Created on Apr 20, 2020 4:39:43 PM

Last change on Apr 21, 2020 9:24:45 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

Only migrating specific settings to a new version is not possible, but you can move the whole configuration. Therefore, we provide a migration guide here.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 21, 2020 9:26:18 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.