What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Export entire Remote Probe data

Votes:

Hi. Our company works with temporary network installations, and the way we use PRTG is we set a remote probe on a temporary network, and use it to monitor the network from our core server. Once the network is taken down, we don't really need to access that data anymore. And, that same probe is then used for another installation.

Our biggest issue right now is that our Core server is full of data and devices that we no longer use and/or need. But, we don't want to get rid of them in case some client requests some specific data.

Is there a way we can export, or save all the data from a device tree, or from an entire remote probe into a Database, or even CSV? We need some way to safely archive old device data, and we don't want our PRTG core to be full of over 20,000 paused unused sensors.

backup prtg

Created on Apr 22, 2020 5:48:11 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

The results of all monitoring requests for all sensors are located at the "\Monitoring Database" folder in your data directory. Also see: How and where does PRTG store its data?. It's possible to backup the configuration and all monitoring data before deleting the sensors.

You can also Export the Historic Sensor Data into CSV or XML Files with the PRTG API.

Kind Regards,
Timo Dambach
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Apr 23, 2020 9:30:10 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Timo. If I copy the databases for the devices I need into an archive storage, and delete them from PRTG, how am I able to import them back if/when needed?

Also, I have already Che ked out the API solution, but it seems to be on a Sensor basis. I have many (sometimes hundreds) of switches, each with several sensors (ports, health etc). Exporting sensor by sensor, even if scripted, is totally impractical if not impossible.

Created on Apr 23, 2020 9:34:34 AM

Votes:

Hi,

In order to import databases from devices that are already deleted, you would need to backup and restore the whole PRTG configuration (where the device has not yet been deleted) as well. I recommend to backup the entire "\Monitoring Database" folder and configuration regularly and restore everything if necessary.

I'm afraid there's no other way to export data from specific devices/sensors other than the API call mentioned.

Created on Apr 24, 2020 6:23:39 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply. So, via API, is effete a way to export all the sensors data from a device? Or even better, export all the sensors in a device group? As I said, we have a couple hundred devices on these temp. installs, and each device has dozens of sensors. Exporting each sensor individually, by ID is impossible...

Created on Apr 24, 2020 7:50:17 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid this is not possible using the API. However you can find all available API Calls at "Setup > PRTG API". You may also take a look at reports to export CSV files. You can use a "Data Table" report template for example. Is this helping you here?

Created on Apr 24, 2020 9:57:48 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.