What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG restore procedure using backup

Votes:

Hi,

we have a PRTG server we need to take a corrective action on the server and we will not have a backup of the operating system and we also cannot remain with the server inoperative for a long time.

We want to protect ourselves with the backup of the PRTG solution.

Doubts:

1 - If someone problem occurs during the process of updating the PRTG version, is it possible to use the backup of the PRTG solution to return to the previous healthy state?

2 - We will enable the PRTG cluster to ensure that the second CORE maintains the collection of information and monitoring during the procedure that we will perform in the primary CORE. If, when activating CLUSTER, a problem occurs during this configuration, is it possible to use the backup of the PRTG solution to return to the previous healthy state?

3 - If it is necessary to reinstall the PRTG server and restore the PRTG using the solution backup keeping the same name and IP as the CORE server, is this possible?

4 - If after updating the PRTG version, we activate the CLUSTER and some problem occurs with the primary CORE server and we want to make the secondary server as primary (read / write), what is the procedure?

Our major concern is that we do not have the backup of the operating system and also of the virtual server for restoration in case of generalized problem. Therefore, we want to use the backup of the solution to reverse any problems that occur during any change in the PRTG.

Thanks.

cluster prtg restore

Created on Apr 23, 2020 7:52:32 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Let's go through your questions step by step:

1. PRTG automatically creates a backup of the configuration during the update process, therefore you can easily roll back afterwards by running the old installer and switching to the old configuration.
  2. Note, that every cluster partner gathers his own information and this is not synced to the other one. It is an active - active cluster here. Therefore, it will also increase the load of the network. You can get more information about PRTG clustering here.
  3. Yes, this is possible. For backing up data and restoring, I would recommend the following guide.
  4. The following article explains how to switch the servers to standalone installations.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 24, 2020 8:49:31 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

so before updating the PRTG will an automatic backup of the previous configuration be created or when you say automatic backup is what PRTG performs daily and saves in the folder (Auto-Backup Configuration)?

If something goes wrong, do I need to remove the current version and install the old one and restore the settings?

And the historical data I will not lose?

If I want to guarantee the backup of the history, is it necessary to turn off PRTG and copy the files manually?

Thanks.

Created on Apr 24, 2020 12:32:03 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Let's get straight to your questions again:

1. During the update process PRTG automatically creates a backup of the configuration in the same folder where also the daily backups are taking place.
  2. Yes, you can simply run the old installer. By default it is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive, but I would also recommend to back the installer up. If a device tree update was done during the update, you also need to switch back to the old configuration. This will get noted after the update. Replacing the configuration can only be done if the PRTG services are stopped.
  3. Historic data is usually not touched during an update. Therefore, you don't need to create a backup for the update. But you should still create a backup of this data sometimes, to make sure to minimize the data loss if something happens to the Windows machine. I would recommend to stop the PRTG services while backing up those files.

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 27, 2020 8:30:52 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

to complete our question in the process.

If I install a newer version and a problem occurs like PRTG for example I don't want to go up.

I fill the previous version, do I simply install the previous version on top of the directory where the installation that I updated is defective? I will not lose the backup of existing configurations and database files?

Or do I have to remove the current version to install the previous one?

Thank you.

Created on May 11, 2020 5:34:28 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Yes, you can simply run the installer of the previous version. No configuration will get lost and PRTG will also create a backup during this process.

It may be needed to replace the configuration with the old one after the downgrade for some PRTG versions, but PRTG will ask for it. Please make sure to stop the PRTG services while replacing the configuration.

Kind regards,

Created on May 12, 2020 11:10:26 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.