What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

State Trigger request: "is Up" instead of "leaves Down"

Votes:

We need certain "When sensor state is Up for at least ... seconds, perform" instead of ambiguous "When sensor leaves Down state after a notification was triggered, perform" (where a state can be Unknown, Unusual, etc.) in the same State Trigger with the 1st line "When sensor state is Down" from Notification Triggers. There is no option in Notification Triggers now and for many years for many users, according to kb.paessler.com.

Is there any way around?

Thanks.

P.S. There is no such a problem in other monitoring programs like Orion, WhatsUp, etc.

down email-notifications notifications state trigger unknown up

Created on Jun 16, 2020 1:35:56 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

As workaround you can configure multiple "State Trigger" for one sensor. With this you should be able to get the desired notification rules

When you want to propose this as a new feature, please take a look at here.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Jun 16, 2020 2:12:04 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Felix!

For me, 2nd State Trigger is independent of the 1st State Trigger if done for the group of devices.

I need to configure one sensor Ping for thousands of devices. The only way I see now to do it in the Libraries.

So I have:

Libraries / Library: Ping sensors only / Library Node: Network pings Settings: Linked Object - Local Probe (Local Probe) / Network group Library Node Type - Show a collection of filtered sensors (max. 1000) Filter By Type - Show specific sensor types only Select Sensor Types - Ping

Libraries / Library: Ping sensors only

- Notification Triggers:

State Trigger 1 (All Downs, I cannot put "is Up" in 3rd line)

When sensor state is Down for at least * seconds, perform Down email

When sensor state is Down for at least seconds, perform Escalation email for down and repeat every 0 minutes

When sensor leaves Down state after a notification was triggered, perform Reset email

• I created 2nd State Trigger (all UPs again, no chance to put any other state) and performs notification for all Up devices, not just for the device which was Down.

State Trigger 2

When sensor state is Up for at least 60 seconds, perform Reset email

When sensor state is Up for at least 300 seconds, perform no notification and repeat every 0 minutes

When sensor leaves Up state after a notification was triggered, perform no notification

How to get the result for each of thousands of devices - to perform "is Up" only not "leaves Down state"?

Thanks.

Created on Jun 16, 2020 3:05:05 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.