What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor with multiple channel from a single query

Votes:

Hello everyone,

I've got an Oracle sensor that will elaborate a table like this:

Wardrobes | +10% Beds | + 25% Chairs | - 35%

Is it possibile to have a sensor that scan through the data and alert me when the percentage is over/under a certain limit?

For example, if limits will be +/- 25%, I want to receive an error from the sensor like: "Delta for category Beds outside limits" "Delta for category Chairs outside limits"

oracle prtg table

Created on Jul 21, 2020 2:56:51 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

You can try to use the option "Process data table" in the settings of "Oracle SQL v2 Sensor".
This setting triggers the Sensor to read and analyze the queried data table. If you select this option, the sensor counts rows with SELECT statements as well.

Created on Jul 22, 2020 9:45:24 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I tried but the sensor shows me only the first record, it seems it doesn't process the full table ...

Created on Jul 22, 2020 10:31:53 AM

Votes:

In this case, I recommend to create a SQL query which already checks for the delta and lists only the rows which fulfills the requirements. Afterwards, you can use the Sensor to count these rows.

Created on Jul 22, 2020 12:56:45 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I used this method but the sensor only tells me how many problems there are, but not on which element that I've to manually search, instead I want that the sensor will tell me what element is in error, is not possibile?

I also tried to split the sensor and create 1 sensor for each element, and everything works, but each time I add an element to the table, I've to remember to create the relative sensor and this is not so good!

Created on Jul 22, 2020 1:02:20 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm sorry but as you already found out, the only way for this detailed information is to create a Sensor for each object.
If you know which certain feature would help you, you can create a feature request for PRTG so PRTG is able to do better SQL queries in the future. Therefore, please follow these steps: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

Created on Jul 23, 2020 5:49:01 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello again,

I need to ask a thing: how's the "Process data" option will work? I don't understand how this option work.

Created on Jul 24, 2020 7:02:23 AM

Votes:

With this option you can map results of your query in single channels. For example, you have in column "data size" the value you want to have in the channel, then you configure "Column name" and then the name of the column. Afterwards, this channel will display the value from this column.

Created on Jul 24, 2020 12:19:48 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It reads only the first record, right? Is there something to read multiple record?

Created on Jul 24, 2020 1:07:40 PM

Votes:

Hi Andrea,

this depends on what you configure. If you select "Number of Row" in the data processing feature, PRTG will import the value from one row in each channel. Please note that this is only useful, if you have only one column.

Created on Jul 27, 2020 5:47:56 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.