What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problems with XML Custom Sensors and se Windows credentials of parent device

Votes:

Hello,

i use powershell to write some Sensors (XML Custom EXE/Script Sensors) for vmware and windows. Lately i noticed some of my Sensors are throwing errors.

Normally i use the features: x Use Windows credentials of parent device x Set placeholders as environment values to pass Parameter to my Scripts and execute them with the rights of the parents windows credentials.

When i now use this command : "User: $($env:UserName)" | Out-File -FilePath C:\tmp\Test_log.txt i will allways get $PRTG as user anyway if i use the which option i use. It also seems hat there are no Parameters passed to the Script.

Config: Windows Server 2019 PSVersion 5.1.17763.1007 PRTG Currently Installed Version 20.3.60.1623+

What i have tried: - Delete Senor and create new one - Reboot Server - Reinstall vmware.powercli - several experiments with the Setting "Use Windows credentials of parent device" and "Set placeholders as environment values" - Export $args[] and $env:UserName to a logfile - Settings Windows Creds directly in the parent device ("Credentials for Windows Systems ")

Any Hints to solve the Problem?

best regards Heiko

credentials-for-windows-systems use-windows-credentials-of-parent-device xml-custom-exe-script-sensors

Created on Jul 24, 2020 8:50:53 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Heiko,

Did you already try to run the PRTG Probe Service as an administrative user account in Windows?

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 27, 2020 10:09:31 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ups not my day:

the core services uses a domain admin account. when changing the probe account all my custom sensors fails with: A required privilege is not held by the client. (0x522)

there are also some hints from your team to start the probe with a local account: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/87470-exe-script-sensor:-error-0x522

sorry or the confusing. still trying to investigate

best regard heiko

Created on Mar 9, 2021 6:32:45 AM

Votes:

Hello Heiko,

do you have more luck if you use the parameter option instead of environmental variables?

Via Setup / System Administration / Monitoring, you can enable the new Powershell wrapper (section "Experimental Features") which protects parameter from being read by the Windows Event Log, or Process Explorer.

Created on Mar 10, 2021 4:52:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 10, 2021 4:53:20 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.