What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

select sensor source interfaces on probes with multiple NICs

Votes:

I have a probe in our DMZ to monitor all of our WAN and ISP connections. Would like to select which NIC the sensors use where possible, specifically "ping" and "common saas". This would give the ability to to monitor specific identical destinations and get comparable metrics from several different paths.

add-feature common-saas-sensor ping-sensor

Created on Aug 6, 2020 1:51:30 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Have you considered getting this data from your gateway device? Just asking since some gateways may have a connection quality sensor that you could pull, instead of creating a manual one behind the NAT.

Created on Sep 2, 2020 11:07:57 AM

Votes:

I don't think the previous reply is valid as 1.) it's not behind a nat, and 2.) (to my knowledge) PRTG cannot get ping or http results downstream from a gateway device, like a switch or router (correct me if I'm wrong).

Created on Sep 2, 2020 12:19:03 PM

Votes:

Hello,

You can define the NIC for all monitoring requests at the "Probe settings for monitoring"-tab of the Admin-Tool. This will be used for every sensor. Currently it's not possible to select multiple different NICs.

Created on Sep 2, 2020 12:50:26 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I know you can select the overall nic for the probe (but not for each sensor). That was the point of my "request". Via a different Paessler post I wrote a "exe" sensor the specify the source IP, but that solution is very messy.

Created on Sep 2, 2020 12:54:03 PM

Votes:

You also have the option to use multiple remote probes, which will also give you multiple source-addresses, but this might be a little overkill. I think, at the moment, the solution using custom "exe" sensors is the best.

If you want to see this implemented in PRTG, please file in a feature request, following the process outlined in this post.

Kind regards,
Matthias Kupfer - Team Tech Support

Created on Sep 2, 2020 1:45:12 PM by  Matthias Kupfer [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.