What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Syslog Sensor log duration and monitor disk space of this sensor

Votes:

Hello all,

I would like to ask 2 questions for the same type of sensor, which in this case is the Syslog Sensor. The first one is the duration of logs. I can see when creating the sensor that there is an option called "Purge Messages After" and from what I can understand from the docs(https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/syslog_receiver_sensor) this refers to the length which the sensor is going to keep data, i.e after the X amount of days the logs will be deleted. However, I also noticed this question: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/23013-how-long-does-prtg-keeps-its-data-and-how-can-i-archive-and-restore which it says that by default it's keeping logs for 1 year. Can you please explain to me the difference between these 2 options? If I want to keep syslog sensor messages for 2 years, should I modify both of these values or just one?

And the second question, regarding the same sensor type, is there a way to view the disk space of the sensor itself from the GUI? I know where the logs are located in Windows so I can always RDP and check the file size, I was just thinking if I could do this from the GUI.

That's all, thank you so much!

prtg syslog syslog-sensor

Created on Aug 21, 2020 11:29:57 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Regarding your first question. These are two different options, the first one only deletes the messages that the sensor has received. The second option is set for all sensors, and the data that it deletes is the one displayed in the channels of each sensor. In the example of the syslog sensor, this would be the data displayed in the channels "Messages", "Drops", "Errors" and "Warnings". So it should be enough if you only set that the messages are kept for 2 years.

Regarding your second question. Can you please describe more in detail what you mean with "the disk space of the sensor"?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 21, 2020 12:37:14 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for your reply! Regarding my second question, basically, taken from that question: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data I navigated to the above-mentioned path and I checked that the logs of each Syslog Sensor are stored in the Syslog Database, and inside that folder, there are subfolders with the ID of each sensor. Thus, if I want to know how much disk space the logs of the sensor with ID 1 are occupying I can right-click it and see it via RDP.(even tho the actual disk space is minimal if you take into factor a lot of different sensors while retaining logs for 2 years that will potentially require a lot of disk space). Thus I was wondering if there is an option to do the same without RDPing into the server but from the Web GUI. It's more of an ease of access thing, that's why I would like to know if it's possible.

Thank you again!

Created on Aug 21, 2020 9:52:53 PM

Votes:

Hello,

If you just want to monitor the free space on the drive (without knowing the size of the syslog folder), then you can use a WMI Free Disk Space sensor or a SNMP Disk Free sensor. If you want to monitor the size of the folder of the Syslog sensor, then you can use the Folder sensorFolder sensor.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 24, 2020 6:01:56 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.