What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP RMON

Votes:

Hi Everyone,

I want to use SNMP RMON sensor of the PRTG. I am using Cisco Switches 2960x, 3850 models. I have a few questions on the same Please guide:

1. Is it mandatory to send all SNMP Traps to the PRTG?
2. Can you share any sample configuration to get interface drops, errors, CRC errors, etc?

Thanks in advance.

cisco-switch rmon snmp

Created on Sep 9, 2020 12:50:28 PM

Last change on Sep 9, 2020 1:19:07 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

If you are using the RMON or SNMP Traffic sensor you do not need to send snmp traps. This is only necessary when using the SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor
CRC errors can only be monitored using custom snmp sensors.

Created on Sep 9, 2020 1:22:06 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am using https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_rmon_sensor . The sensor health is showing ok but not getting any traffic. Same time, I am getting traffic statics with the SNMP sensor.

I am missing something but don't know

Global configuration as below:

snmp-server host X.x.x.x CISCO rmon event 1 log trap CISCO description test owner CISCO rmon event 2 log trap CISCO description test owner CISCO rmon alarm 1 ifInUcastPkts.1 60 delta rising-threshold 100 1 falling-threshold 50 2 owner CISCO rmon alarm 2 ifInUcastPkts.2 60 delta rising-threshold 100 1 falling-threshold 50 2 owner CISCO

Also there are interface configuration

Am I missing something?

Created on Sep 9, 2020 1:49:14 PM

Last change on Sep 10, 2020 5:24:26 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Since the configuration for RMON can differ depending on the device, we are not able to provide you a guide on how to configure this on your device. However, this following article may help Configuring RMON.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 10, 2020 11:27:38 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Finally, I got success after testing more than 3 IOS and hardware version. I noticed that this is a known bug in the Cisco IOS. After upgrading the Cisco IOS it is working fine.

Created on Sep 13, 2020 5:59:26 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Happy to hear that you got it working. And thank you for sharing the solution.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 14, 2020 7:55:00 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.