What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cloud Heartbeat Monitoring for PRTG

Votes:

We would benefit from having our PRTG server send "proof of life" heartbeat status updates to a cloud service which could in turn notify (email/text/etc) if the PRTG server hasn't made contact within a specified duration.

This would benefit smaller shops who are unable to implement additional in-house servers/solutions or externally managed cloud servers themselves.

The PRTG server itself should initiate the traffic to the cloud service so that it would not need to be externally accessible.

If the PRTG server were to go offline in a disaster scenario, this solution would help notify the admin of the issue.

cloud monitoring prtg

Created on Sep 24, 2020 7:22:59 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

You can write a script which does this task and then run the script via an EXE/script Sensor. If you add this Sensor to the Core Server, you should be notified if the Core Server is offline.

Created on Sep 25, 2020 1:20:34 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I meant for this to be a feature request. I'm unable to edit my post (I get Internal Server Error) to update the format and tags of the post.

I know I can write a script to notify whenever the core server goes offline. But, to where would I send that status? My feature request is more about PRTG developing a "lite" version of my-prtg.com that ONLY receives this basic "is PRTG working" info and not data from numerous sensors. The current cloud offerings for PRTG are very overkill to the basic up/down status.

An infrastructure outage or ISP outage could then be easily known in the event that PRTG cannot get its alerts sent (either because the server is offline or because there's a connectivity issue). I'm sure the big customers out there just have multiple probes spread across multiple sites, but for smaller customers with a single PRTG server, this could be very useful.

I made a new post with the correct tags/format for a feature request. I don't care if this post gets deleted or not.

Created on Sep 25, 2020 1:48:12 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the clarification. If you already created a feature request, this is all we can do now. If enough user are voting your request, we will add the feature to our pipeline. The feature request is here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/88627-basic-cloud-heartbeat-monitoring

Created on Sep 28, 2020 6:08:22 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.