What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

A Monitoring Agent

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want an installable agent for Windows servers to pull information instead of WMI and SNMP.

Details of User Story

Windows has deprecated SNMP with Windows Server 2012 and WMI is not efficient above 200 WMI Sensors per Remote Probe. Other monitoring tools offer an installable agent for monitoring and I think that would be useful for instances where I need more then 200 WMI Sensors. Previously I was able to monitor our whole environment with 1 server. Now I am using 6 servers for approximately 8000 sensors and need to add additional Remote probes to accommodate the WMI load.

Acceptance criteria

• It should work on Windows Server Operating Systems
  • It should be light wait and take a small footprint on the server. (Under 500 MB)
  • It would be nice if it uses limited Bandwidth for monitoring low bandwidth sites (Ex. Satellite Connections)

Status

Open

add-feature monitoring windows

Created on Oct 1, 2020 11:33:19 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

There is no such "light weight agent" available. but the PRTG Problem is not that heavy.

Option1: You can install multiple PRTG Probes around you network to distribute the load. You could (i do not recommend that), install a PRTG Probe on every server and do a "local monitoring only". Thats how Microsoft SCOM is working and even some other tools like nagios. They install a service/job on the server. The same is possible with PRTG. There a issues with that: Installing the Probe on every server breaks your "tree View", because every probe is always under the top root node.

Option2: (not ready solution). You can build your own scripts, PowerShell etc. and use the HTTP Push-Sensor to send the data to a nearest probe, regulary. You can schedule these scripts with windows taskplaner and use local comandlets like all the "test Commandlets" from exchange. Problem: PRTG Probes do not notify you about HTTPPush-Sensors without a corresponding sensor in the configuration. You have to plan your setup Pro: The PRTG Probe does not connect to the server, so no "super" credentials.

Option3: We use PowerShell to run "remote PowerShell Scripts". We maintain all scripts on the PRTG Probe and start a PowerShell Script, to do a "invoke-command" on the remote server and feed the results as EXEXML to the PRTG-Sensor

Multiple Options. I would starte with deploying multiple Probes nearby the server (especially in a distributed environment) to monitor local servers with multiple probes

Created on Nov 22, 2020 10:53:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.